Monday, June 29, 2009

Lessons Learned from an Open Water Swim

Last month, I ran into Kelly from the Blue Dawgs group at one of the local races. It was right after my '(Re) learning How to Swim' post from May 12th. She asked me how things were going with my tri training. As we were talking about the training, she mentioned about that post. Basically, she advised me that, the method of swimming I am being taught is correct, but, in reality, it's not like that at all. It's great to be taught that in the pool but, a lot of times, style goes out the window when you are racing against people in the tri. Her advice: do what comes natural to you in the race. Eventually, think about the Total Immersion method but for your first one, just relax and do the best you can in the swim.

As we were discussing this, I wasn't sure what she meant by it. It seems to be a much better method than I was doing. The way I was swimming, my shoulders were aching after 100 meters. I was physically exhausted as I had so much wasted energy in each of my strokes. This way felt so much better. Then last Sunday, I participated in an Open Water Swim Clinic at Lake Nockimixon. It was light bulb moment.

An Open Water Swim Clinic is just as the name implies. It is a reality session. We're not in the pool any longer, Dorothy. There are no sides to cling on to after 50 meters. There is no chlorine to swallow. There are no lines to follow. You are in a lake and everything that comes along with swimming in the middle of the lake. Meaning, there is no bottom of the lake that you can see. Heck, you can barely see your feet treading water. You can barely see 10 feet in front of you. This is as the race is. Still want to do a tri?

For the first 30 minutes of the session, we were being taught how the morning was going to unfold. Questions were being answered. But, you could see on most everyone's face, can I do this? We were all nervous. People were talking. But, no one took their eyes off the water.

Finally, we got in the lake. Now, I was going to be brave and go in with just my tri suit on. But, it was rainy, sweatshirt-type of day so I was talked into wearing a wetsuit. Thank you for whomever talked me into it. I was grateful as I swam around and others teeth were chattering.

The instructors took us out in groups to swim around different buoys. I started out and decided to go slow. Then I thought of Kelly's words. I wasn't Total Immersion swimming. I was swimming to swim to the next buoy. Technique was not considered. Getting to the next buoy was my only concern. I didn't care how or what I looked like. And, I was gassed after 75 yards.

Now, don't forget, I was coming off of a long holiday and a bout with the flu. Still, it made me nervous that I was this tired for such a short distance. Me being a guy thought I could just go out there and swim. Tail between my legs, I joined the newbie group and listened to my instructor.

She said to go slow. I was. No, go even slower. I readily admit, I didn't think that was possible. So, I tried to go slower. I felt I was going nowhere at all. But, I did get to the buoy without too much effort spent.

Finally, we were sent out to do an approximate 1/4 mile distance. Perfect. This was the distance in the race. I want to see what it was going to be like to do this distance in the lake.

Coming into this tri training, I really thought that swimming was going to be an asset for me. I have to admit it has been humbling for me as I am just a very slow swimmer. And, even though we weren't racing that day, they wanted to show us how it would feel when people are trying to beat you. So, we pushed and jostled with each other with lots of 'sorries' thrown in. As a matter of fact, I was swimming along when I punched a woman in the face as she was floating on her back. She wasn't hurt but valuable lesson for both of us.

As the day ended, I was so thankful to have that opportunity. It would have been a shock to the system to try to do the triathlon just with pool experience. And, it also gave me confidence that, in fact, I can do that distance in the open water. And I thought about Kelly's words as I was out there, swimming around, trying to get to the next buoy and feeling I was going nowhere...just do what comes naturally and I will be fine. Thanks, Kel.

(Notes: There are two more sessions left in my triathlon class before the Lake Lenape triathlon on July 11. I can't thank enough my classmates, who I know we will all do well in our triathlons, for their support. I especially want to thank Sharon, Skip and Chief for the wonderful job they did as mentors and teachers. I have learned so much from this class and about myself. They were patient in answering all our questions and have helped out so much in preparation. Thank you for being great teachers.
I thought about writing a completely different subject for this entry but was afraid where it was going to take me. I couldn't help but notice that, recently, two celebrities died at the age of 50. One, of course, is Michael Jackson and the other was the pitchman, Billy Mays. I'm not saying I'm anything like them in health and well-being. But, it did make me pause and think. I've been asked time and time on why I do these marathons and triathlon things. I can keep telling myself, if I don't do it now, I may never have the chance to ever do it in my life. You just never know.)

4 comments:

Paul said...

Yeah, I didn't have that class, my first and only tri was on a whim during SOBC. I am a strong swimmer but I didn't expect taking off in a crowd of 1000 fellow swimmers to be so tough. I was kicked in the stomach within 20 feet. I say the same thing, just do what you gotta do to get through it and onto the bike.

phicoh said...

Two words of advice: start at the back. That way you can just wait until it opens up and have a relaxed swim.

Practice a stroke that allows you to relax if you are tired. That way if it gets tough you can just slowdown, relax, and start going again.

And for me, when I'm doing a recreational triathlon, it's about enjoying all three parts (but I have to admit that I never started in a crowd of 1000)

Unknown said...

great post. i have always wanted to try a tri, but now I am very worried about the swimming. Thanks for the eye-opener.

Brian Schwind said...

Where can I get more info on those open water clinics at Nockamixon?