Monday, July 6, 2009

The Day of Reckoning

Since this past March, I have thought about this moment. That was the day I decided to start my training for a triathlon. I struggled so mightily those first few times. I would swim freestyle for four laps then breaststroke for two. And, I only lasted twenty minutes in the pool. I remember getting out of the pool that first day and saying to myself, 'How am I ever going to do this?'

This being the Lake Lenape Triathlon coming up this Saturday, July 11. It is to celebrate my 50th year of existence on this earth. Birthday cake and well wishes would have been nice. No. I have to do it the hard way. I have to get up 4 o'clock in the morning and drive to the Jersey Shore to swim in a cedar lake without a wetsuit, to ride a bike over 10 miles and then run a little over a 5k. All in the name of fun.

I have to say this is the most I have trained for an event. When strictly running, I would run 3 maybe 4 times a week in training. For this event, except for the two weeks I was travelling, I was doing something almost everyday with 1 day of rest a week. Meaning, I was either swimming, biking or doing some running. Even then, I was doing some 'brick' workouts with a run after a bike ride.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. And, I think I am most nervous about things that aren't in my control. Yes, I know, there isn't a whole lot I can do about it so I shouldn't sweat it. But....I was reminded of it when we were training last Monday. Skip, one of our coaches at the Y tri class, was going to show us how to change a tire. Somehow, I became an involuntary volunteer, as I had a flat with a 100 yards left in our transition training. It just brought to my attention that something like that could happen in the race. Running, for the most part, you have control over a situation. Biking, well.....

My plan is to have fun and finish. It's the best advice I give to anyone running a marathon/half marathon/10k whatever for the first time and I should live it myself with this race. I have made no committments to any other future triathlons this year or beyond. But, I have enjoyed this training more than I have when I was just running.

I will say that I am in awe of anyone who trains for triathlon. I am doing a sprint tri and I know how hard I've trained for it. I can't imagine the time and effort of a longer triathlon. I can't imagine doing a Half Tri or an Ironman. It's not just their physical skills but their mental skills as well. To have the patience and the will to go on, especially the training, is beyond my comprehension.

Wish me luck on my quest to be a triathlete by Saturday.

(Notes: I ran the Revolutionary 10k Run on Saturday. The weather was absolutely beautiful with low humidity and temps in the 70's (F). I wanted to use this run as a test of my endurance for the tri. I have to say I was disappointed in my time (55:56). Even though I ran 9:00/miles, I thought I could have done better than that, especially with the gorgeous weather. But, for the past month, I have been, and I can't describe it better than this, running with 'dead legs'. My legs are tired almost as soon as I start the race. I guess I was disappointed as I thought the tri training would get my legs stronger. I will need to adjust my training in the future to allow times when I do races.
For the second year in a row, the good people of Falmouth, Massachusetts have decided to not allow my friend, Steve Runner, to partake in their little race in August. I, on the otherhand, have been accepted. My theory is that they have had enough of the media frenzy when Steve Runner comes to town. Falmouth is a small town but too much is too much. I did the race last year without Steve but, most likely, will skip the race this year as a sign of rebellion of not allowing a true New Englander like Steve to participate. Pay no attention to the internet rumors of me lining the city coffers to exclude Steve and to allow me in. All false accusations. I wanted to race Steve this year. Honest, I did. I thought I had a good shot. I just can't imagine what horrible thing Steve must have done to exclude him from the Falmouth Road Race two years in a row.
And, I believe, Steve and I might be rethinking the PEI marathon in October. When Steve told me of the rejection he faced with the Falmouth Road Race, he also mentioned that he was still having problems with his ankle. I think it is time for Steve to rest his troubling ankle though I don't think he will take my advice. He did hint of doing another race so I need to call him up and see what he had in mind. We shall see.

10 comments:

phicoh said...

Be careful that you don't overtrain. It is tempting to train for a triathlon three times what you normally train for just a single sport, but that is usually too much.

Given that your tri is next weekend, it is probably best to take the week off from training.

Mom on the Run said...

I have similar feelings about my upcoming Tri but I haven't trained half as much as you have. You are going to do great and I can't wait to hear about it.

I do have to agree with phicoh - take it easy this week so you and your legs are fresh for the Tri.

Good luck!!!

Unknown said...

I wish you all the luck in the world. You are doing something I cannot phathom even trying.

I will be sending you good vibes while I run the All-Star Game 5K this weekend in St. Louis.

Trevor said...

Hey! I had no idea you were the "my friend Joe" from Steve's Phedip podcast. Cool! I stumbled onto your blog somehow, but I didn't think it was through Steve Runner. Best of luck this weekend ... and feel free to go to PEI regardless - it's a great place. Lots of Sox fans too!

Paul said...

Good luck on the 11th, I will be praying for you. Oh, and perhaps if Steve didn't try training for the Boston Marathon in five weeks he wouldn't have ankle problems.

Anonymous said...

Good luck this weekend, Joe! I'm certain all of the training you have done will pay off. I hope to do a tri one day as well. I look forward to reading about how your race goes.

Erin

Galto said...

Hey Joe,

My first race ever (before I did ANY running races) was a sprint tri in 2004. My sister got me into it, and I loved it. Have fun out there and don't forget to remind yourself once in a while, "Holy crap! I'm in a triathlon!" It's a cool feeling that will put a smile on your face.

Best of luck!

And I second Trevor. You and Steve should come to PEI no matter what Steve's ankle says! Sadly, no Sam Adams available, but some great microbrews!

Todd

Experimental Runner said...

Way to go, Joe! After hearing so much about you through Phidip. I feel like we've already been introduced.

I did exactly the same event last year for my first tri. After reading everything I could, I figured that I needed to hold back something in reserve for the run and I ended up finishing the event with tons of gas left in the tank. The one thing to watch is the transition from the bike to the run. Take shorter strides when you first start running to get the "bike" out of your legs. Have lots of fun.

Connie R said...

Good luck to you Joe...I know you'll reach your goal!

Joe S said...

Thank you all for your good wishes. I've been talking about this for months and I can't believe its here already. I will try to relax and just enjoy the time out there. It will certainly be a unique experience. Thanks again.