Monday, July 27, 2009

Transitioning

Good thing I did a triathlon so I could use 'Transitioning' in my title. :-)

I'm not really an emotional guy (is that an oxymoron?). But, there is one thing I have found myself being emotional about. And, that is, the end of an event that I have been focusing on. Oh, I don't breakdown and cry afterwards. But, I do have a hard time transitioning into the next big thing.

I can be singularly focused on something. Put my heart and soul into it. And, all my emotional energy. Which is what I did for my tri. For the past few months, that's all I cared about. Dreamt about. Lived. Breathed. And, now it's over.

So, I've been having a hard time getting up for the next big thing. And, unfortunately, that's what I need to do to keep my training going. Yes, I know I am not the only one this happens to. I know there is a letdown for most people after their 'big' event. So, I'm not alone in this. But, for me, it usually happens in the fall so it feels kind of weird happening in the middle of summer like this. Especially, since the past few weeks as been all about family which left me little time for any kind of training.

So, yes, I am transitioning right now. Trying to do it as fast as I can like I was taught. Things should get back to normal for me starting next week. And, here's the hard part. I want to continue to do tri training. I really liked it. But, realistically, I won't have the time to enter any events for the rest of the year. Steve and I are still going to do something in the fall but still to be determined. Most likely, not a marathon but probably a half. So, as of today, I plan on doing two halfs in the fall. Not sure when but there you go. And, I'm going to throw in some bike and swimming into the mix. I can feel the emotions starting to bubble up right now...

(Notes: This has been a busy year for me in travelling. This past weekend, I went up to the Bufallo, NY area for a family reunion. (My niece moved up there.) I had a chance to see Niagara Falls which was definitely on my 'bucket list'. Below are some videos I took as we traveled on the 'Maid of the Mist' which brought us under the falls on the American and Canadian sides. Enjoy)

(Above: Niagara Falls, USA side)

(Above: Niagara Falls, Canada side)

No comments: