Sunday, June 7, 2009

Postcard from London

I must be in England because I am sitting in my hotel watching Australia-Sri Lanka cricket highlights.

This is going to be a short entry as I am tired and my wireless internet connection is not the best. The 5k I did was an experience. Very similar to US events but there were subtle differences. Truthfully, not sure if it was US-UK differences or just this event was a little different. For instance, they did not have a water station but handed out water bottles that you took and handed to perfect strangers watching the event. Also, they had a men's and women's changing area before the start of the race.

The day started out with tremendous rain and was tempted to rollover in bed for an extra few hours of sleep. But, by 8a when I left the hotel, the day was filled with brilliant sunshine and remained so for the event.

The race was two laps around Battersea Park which is near the Thames River. Dummy me forgot my GPS watch so had no idea of the pace I was doing. I had an inkling of what it was as the clock was running at the finish area and you had to go through the finish for the second lap of the race. Another difference is there are no mile markers. Kilometer markers yes, but no mile markers.

All in all, it was a lot of fun. Below is a video of the start of the race. I was going to post other videos and pictures of the race but, currently, as I stated, not the greatest internet connection. I will later. Plus, it's midnight. Time for me to go to bed.

Enjoy.



4 comments:

CewTwo said...

Great! Really enjoyed it! What an activity to do in England!

Thanks for sharing!

Katbili said...

Yes that sounds like London to me! You seem to have enjoyed it. Sorry for the crappy internet connection, it is not a London thing though ;)

Eric said...

Joe;
But what was your time? I am assuming that it was flat compared to Bucks County?

Eric

Paul said...

Sounds like it was a fun event. How long were you in England? Did you get to see all the tourist traps? Say hey to the queen for me.