Tuesday, August 24, 2010

2010 Spring Mill Athletic Ivyland 5k (The Pancake Race)

I just looked at my running history and I had a 'I had no idea' moment.  You see, this past Saturday, on August 21, 2010, I ran the Spring Mill Athletic Ivyland 5k.  Every year, I try to run this race as it was the first one I ever did on my long list of races through the years (ok, I DID run in 3.5 mile Corporate Challenges in New York City in the late '80s/early '90s but my 'training' would be running for about a month before the event).  What I was looking up was, what was the year of that first race I did?  Guessing 2005?  No, that doesn't seem right.  I was close.  It was 2001.  Wow.  Almost 10 years of entering races.   That was two age groups ago.

Ivyland, Pennsylvania is the smallest borough in Bucks County with a land area of .3 square miles and a population of less than 500 (according to the 2000 census).  Even though it's tiny, it is steeped in history from signers of the Declaration of Independence from the area to NASA lunar astronauts training at the Johnsville Naval Station only a few miles from the course. 

Of course, the other reason to run this race are the pancakes after the race.  The race is associated with the local peach festival and it's origin was to promote that event.  But, the race has taken on a life of it's own as, locally, it's known as the pancake race.  The local firefighters will serve you a helping of pancakes along with coffee, orange juice and peaches.  (Winners of the age groups got spatulas for their own pancake races.)  When I ran the first time, some 9 years ago, I thought ALL races would be serving up pancakes.  I was disappointed in my next race when I got a few brouchures but nothing to eat!  With the T-shirt, you get all of this for a very reasonably priced entry fee of $15.  Seriously, I love this race.

My race report will be short.  I ran slow.  Slowest I've ever run this race.  But, in truth, I didn't want to push myself.  Officially, I ran the race in 27:59 (I question that official time as I know I was past the finish line and clock at 27:56.  Won't squabble over three seconds) .  First mile, is through the town of Ivyland and a small housing development which I ran in about 8:45.  The second mile, geez, that's the killer.  Seriously, it is all uphill except maybe 100 yards at the top. It's not a steep hill but it just doesn't quit.  Looking at my Garmin, I did that second mile around 9:15.  The third mile?  Well, you know the hill I was just talking about?  You go down it, through the housing development and a few blocks into 'downtown' Ivyland.  For some reason, I almost think that downhill is tougher than the uphill.  You want to shift into high gear there but, every year, I still thinking I'm recovering from that uphill and get stuck in neutral.  

My time was almost 2 minutes faster than my previous 5k I ran in early July.  Of course, that race was run on Wednesday night with temperatures reaching 97 degrees (F).  I felt good about this race.  I don't have my game face on this year.  Slowly but surely, I'm getting there.  It will all click together I'm sure.  And, when it does, watch out Eric and Chief.  I'll be gunnin' for ya!

Side note to this event---The race was on Saturday but you can go and register in person on Friday night, which I did.  As I handed in my registration, the event director looked at my name and said, 'You're Steve Runner's friend, aren't you?'  There is no use denying it so I said yes, I am.  Her son was with her and she said, 'we both listen to his show.  We enjoy it so much.  Especially, when he beat you in that race!!!!  That was so funny.'  That race, to this day, haunts me personally and will forever haunt me while the internet is still alive!  But, her son turned to me and said, 'his show has changed a lot recently.  He's more mellow now.  I liked it better when he was more self-absorbed.'  I had to laugh.  What a smart kid he is!!!!  :-)  Steve was invited to do a podcast report in a future race.  Luckily, Steve likes pancakes so it shouldn't be too hard to get him here.   

3 comments:

Eric said...

Hi Joe,
Your description of the race course was perfect. You ran one Winter Series race and when asked by the Chief why only one you answered you were beaten by a 60 year old (Chief). The Chief mentioned (I am too nice to bring it up) that you were beaten by three 60 year old guys (Chief, Skip, and myself). I hope that you won't follow what you did in the Winter Series and stop entering races!

Steve Runner said...

Mmmmmm....Pancakes....

Joe, how is it that no one ever asks me if I'm "Joes friend"?

Joe S said...

Steve:

You are a world-renowned podcaster with thousands, nay, millions of listeners clinging to every word you say. It is a priviledge, an honor for you to grace this humble blog site of mine. Me? To paraphrase Mongo from 'Blazing Saddles', 'I am but a pawn in the game of life.'