Monday, August 2, 2010

The Cost of Running

For the past few years, I have run around 14 races a year.  And, like most years, I didn't realize I raced that many times until after the year was up and I entered them in my Excel spreadsheet.  And, I wondered, how much did that cost me to run those races?

In truth, I budgeted for those races so it didn't hurt me economically.  And, for some of the local big races (Broad Street Run, Philadelphia Distance Run, for example), I was part of a corporate team so my company paid my entry fee.  But, in these times, the corporation has decided to not to field a team for those events.  And, my situation has changed a bit, so that most races are becoming a luxury item for me. 

But, even if it hadn't, is a 5k really worth $25-35 entry fee?  Is a half marathon or marathon worth over a hundred dollars?   I guess, it depends.

I would say I would be in the distinct majority saying that races have become too expensive.  But, most people will complain, hold their nose and pay the entry fee anyway.  I have yet come across a race that participation is lower than the year before.  And, like any good business, the race charges as much as the people are willing to pay.  And, still they come.  To paraphrase my favorite Yogi Berra quote, people stopped going because it gets too crowded. 

What would be worth giving up?  A tech shirt?  A medal?  Less water stops?  A free meal after the race?  Those things, as you might guess, cost money.  And, people want that cool tech shirt and that cool medal and that meal after the race.  Don't they?

Races aren't just run on their own, so to speak.  They have to compete with other races for your attention.  In some instances, they have become a tourist destination.  In more local terms (much more local), they are a social gathering. 

But, this year, I had to step back and ask myself is what I'm getting out of the race really worth the entry fee?  Afterall, you can run a 5k, 10k, half marathon, heck, even a marathon for free.  And, in truth, there was one particular race last year that was a light bulb moment for me.

I happened to be in San Francisco in December on business last year.  And, the local running club held a 4 mile race in the shadows of the Golden Gate Bridge.  Near Fisherman's Wharf.  With no official numbers.  Just tags identifying the runners.  And no T-shirts.  Unless you wanted to purchase them separately.  And we ran on the sidewalk. No local cops blocking the streets.   Early enough that it wasn't too crowded.  And, you ran two miles until you saw the chalk mark on the sidewalk telling you to turn around.  And, I got a ribbon for finishing the race.  I was timed by an official looking clock.  And, it cost me $5 for the whole experience. 

Granted, the race was in San Francisco and if it was any place else, I'm not too sure I wouldn't be complaining rather than praising.  But, I started to wonder, did I have any less fun in this race than one with all the bling?

So, this year, intentionally or unintentionally, I began to look for inexpensive races or no races at all.  I will tell you that I do miss running races every few weeks.  It helps in motivating me getting out the door to train.  And, in the future, I do intend to make a fall or spring race a tourist destination either for myself or with friends.  But, for now, my wardrobe will suffer as I won't be able to update to too many of this year's fashions. 

1 comment:

Eric said...

There is something "neat" about running with 30,000 other runners in big races, i.e., NYC marathon, etc. But with the high price tags doing one or two in a year is all my purse can handle.