Friday, August 13, 2010

Just Another Day on the Lake

It's been awhile since I ran around Lake Galena.  Not run AT Lake Galena, which I do most every week with my wife.  But, run AROUND Lake Galena, which is an approximately 6 mile run.  However, hints of autumn are in the air, which means it soon will be winter, which means getting out for a 6pm run on a weeknight in an area that doesn't have street lights will soon be a thing of the 2010 past.  It was time.  The Blue Dawgs needed to meet at the lake for a weeknight run even though the furthest I've been going is about 4 miles and the temps were in the 90's (F).  No matter.  I'll go as far as I can then walk/run the rest.  It will be a fun evening.

Of course, lots of the Blue Dawgs are vacationing now so Eric, Mark, and myself met up in the usual parking lot by the boat house where you can rent a boat and enjoy a relaxing time drifting, paddling, kayaking, fishing on the lake. 

We started off talking amongst ourselves for the first mile.  After the first mile, Eric (whom, we believe, discovered the Fountain of Youth as he is kicking Chief's and my butt all over the place this year) picked up the pace and started to pull ahead.  Mark and I ran together for the next mile until we got to the Nature Center and I had to run in and get a drink of water.  At the Nature Center is the beginning of the only real hill around the lake.  But, the real hill is over a half mile in length at a 8 percent grade.  On a hot, muggy night, I needed to take a short break before tackling it.  So, Mark continued on while I ducked in the Nature Center to the water fountain.

I knew I was not going to run the entire four miles left out there.  I knew that going into the run that night.  So, I ran when I felt like, walked when I felt like but only to take a break from the humidity. 

Along the way, I saw four teenage boys goofing around on a rowboat.  Three were sitting down, one was standing up rocking the boat.  The three sitting were calling the guy standing 'George Washington' in reference to the Emanuel Leutze's famous painting of 'Washington Crossing the Delaware'.  And, of course, none of them had lifejackets on.  This, I thought, was a recipe for disaster.

As I was finishing up the run, legs now heavy, probably more from my insistence of not bringing along water on a 6 mile run rather than being THAT out of shape, I looked to the lake and saw people swimming in the lake.  'That's strange', I thought.  'I don't remember ever seeing anyone swimming in the lake before.  Must be for an open swim class.  But, at 7 o'clock at night?'  That's when I heard the first cries of help.

Now, I'm a male and, at one time, was a teenage boy (long, long time ago) so I am guilty as of anyone horsing around.  So, when the first cries of help went out, I was a bit skeptical.  But, the cries of help following sounded more sincere.  And, more panicky.  And, there was a flipped over boat in the middle of them.  Oh, boy.

A group of girls, whom we first saw running ahead of us when we started out and I assumed were from a local high school cross country team, went towards the boys in the lake.  Their coach, ran up towards me saying, 'I'm calling 911.'  I thought about jumping in the lake but was afraid my legs would cramp up before I could get out to them.  They didn't seem to be in immediate danger as they were treading water and no one seemed to be struggling only scared.  So, I jumped in my car and headed for the park ranger station.  Along the way, Mark and Eric, who were sitting at a bench unaware of the situation before I told them ,went down to the lake to see if they could help.  The ranger station is about a mile away, and, unfortunately, no one was there.  So, back to the spot to see if there was anything I could do. 

By the time I got back, there was a motorboat out on the water with the boys in the boat.  Then the police arrived.  Then, the EMT.  Then, the fire truck.  All because they were goofing around.

Now, I am glad no one got hurt.  Really, I am.  And, there were some scary moments.  But....

How stupid of them to do it in the first place?  Maybe it's because it's been so many years since I was a teenage boy but I don't ever remember goofing around so much and taking that type of risk.  I'm not saying I never went out on a boat without a life jacket but I knew I was capable of swimming to shore in an emergency.   To bring out the police, emergency squads and fire trucks.  Never, ever did I do something THAT stupid.  I don't know if they broke any laws but stupidity should be against the law and they should have had the book thrown at them.   Not only did they put themselves at risk, but those trying to help alogn with the emergency teams to help save them.  UGH!!!!!  I didn't stick around to find out what happened to them but the police were still there and they hadn't left yet so I'm guessing they were none to happy about it either.

I'm hoping my next run around the lake won't be so eventful.

Notes:  Good luck to the Falmouth Road Race runners on Sunday.  I was lucky to have run this race so many times in the past and it was always a great time hanging out with SteveRunner for the weekend.  It was part of the summer I looked forward to.  The day will come when we can renew our rivalry once again.  In the meantime, I've been wanting to see Paul McCartney in concert forever.  This weekend, I will get my chance. 

1 comment:

Eric said...

After a hard run the world could have come to an end and I wouldn't know it. Mark and I were talking so I heard nothing. One note, even if you can swim to the docks you should wear a life jacket. You do not know if you are going to hit your head on the boat when you are falling in the lake and when you are underneath the water you do not know which way is up, a strange feeling.

Joe, it was a great run. I was surprised that I was able to keep my pace fairly consistent, even with the hills. Hope to see you on Wednesday and Friday for our "pancake" 5K race. I am worried that you and the Chief will want revenge. You won't let me beat you. I still remember when you pushed hard at the New Hope 5K couple years ago and passed me with 5 yards to go. Am I going to get my revenge??? Only time will tell.