Friday, September 3, 2010

A Yearly Tradition Continues

Though I love this time of year when the weather gets cooler, there is one downside.  Every year, I seem to get sick just before August ends.  This year was no exception.  I'm not sure if it's the change in temperature (though, in truth, was very little change in temperature over the past week as it's been freakin' hot all summer long) or what happens to be flowering this time of year (ragweed, maybe?).

It irrititates me to no end when I'm training for something like the Philadelphia Distance Run (now known as the Rock n Roll Half) and get sick.  Panic mode sets in as when to go out again without coughing up a lung.  Luckily, I have nothing like that on the horizon so I'm just sitting on the sidelines until breathing becomes more of a normal activity rather something optional.  By the way, the diagnosis was bronchitis and very strange how it all happened.

Wednesday of last week, I woke up with a minor sore throat.  'Uh-oh', I thought, 'here it comes.'  It starts out as a cold or persistent allergy symptons.  But, I'm a mere speed bump for colds as it quickly develops into a sinus infection before long.  And, so, it was no surprise when I started coughing on Thursday but well enough to carry out the day at work.  By Friday, well, you have to make a choice here.  Do you tough out over the weekend or go to the doctor and nip in the bud right away?  I'm not one of those people that hem and haw about visiting doctors.  Nope.  Fix me up and get me back out there again as fast as you can.  So, off to the doctor I went.

He listened to my chest, looked at my ears, nose, throat and said, 'well, it's not pneumonia.'  I started at him blankly as I didn't even know that was an option we were discussing.  "OK,' I said, what is?' expecting to hear sinus infection.  'You are borderline bronchitis,' he stated.  What?  How does one become borderline bronchitis having feeling sick for just over a day?  But, there it was and here I am now.

I feel better now.  Sort of.  I can function on most things.  Though eating ice cream is a bit of trick.  (Let's just say it was a kin to having diarehha of the nostrils.)  A couple of more days and I'll be out again soon enough.   

No comments: