Monday, October 5, 2009

iFitness MiniSportsBelt

There is a story I tell of a race I did in Souderton, Pennsylvania one hot July night. That night I was in the midst of setting a new 5k PR when it happened. You see, I used to carry my car key in a shoe pouch. But, as I in the last mile of the race, my shoe pouch started to flap with potentially my car key falling in the middle of the street. I had to take the time to fix it except I didn't fix it right and it started to flap again in the next 100 yards. I was so peeved (not the word I really want to use here), I bent down and tore the pouch off my shoe and stuck my key in my pocket. By then I lost all my momentum and finished seconds off my PR. I never ran with a shoe pouch again.

So, I started to use a wrist pouch. And, they are good. Does the job. But, a little uncomfortable sometimes. Plus, on a good hard day, you can wring out the wristband. And, if you don't be careful, it can get a little funky sitting in the gym bag in a hot car.

A few months ago, Kelly, from the Blue Dawgs showed me her mini Sports Belt. Yeah, yeah, I said. That's great. But, I don't do sports belts. Oh, I've tried. Get yelled out by runner friends for not having one on when doing longer runs. They bounce. They push against the nerves on my back. They are just soooooo uncomfortable. But, let me tell you, and, I don't say this often, Kelly was right.

When walking around the Philadelphia Distance Run expo, there were a few booths selling these. I've been wanting to take my Canon camera along for races/runs and wanted a reason to retire the mini-cam. I thought, for $20, I'll try. So, I bought an iFitness minisportbelt.

Last week, I did two laps around Lake Galena for my final long run before the Valley Harvest half marathon this coming weekend. I ran the first lap (six miles) with the belt on and nothing in it. It was pretty comfortable. Really, didn't even notice I had it on. I stopped at my car and took my wristband off, placed the key in the sportsbelt and took my camera along as well.

I ran about 100 yards. Yep, here it goes. Bounce like crazy. Feel it everytime I take a step. But, in reality, it was what I was expecting. With some adjustments, (keeping the pouch on my front right hip) I never felt it again for the second lap. Even to the point, where after my run, I forgot I didn't take it off, did some errands before I got home and was surprised I had it on still.

I don't think iFitness has the exclusive market on these. I could be wrong. I seem to recall there were other companies selling something similar. But, I can tell you that this is a product I would recommend. Once again, goodbye to the mini-cam. And, dare I say, goodbye to the wristband pouch. I have a new friend with the iFitness minisportsbelt.

(Notes: I think only I would have a chance to go anyplace (within reason) in the world to run a race in the fall and decide to go north instead of south. As of today, the weather forecast in Wolfville, Nova Scotia on Sunday, October 11 is windy with winds out of the west at 24mph. High of 52 degrees (F) which will feel like 40 degrees (F). That's high for the day. Not the race. Need to make sure I bring the long pants and not rely on running in shorts for the race. Still, I have never been to the Maritime Islands of Canada and am looking forward to my trip with Steve (Runner). It will be an adventure.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I have been using the minipouch for a while now; as with you I have Kelly to thank for pointing me in that direction. I think that it is great. If you have it on the correct tighness you won't know that you are wearing it. AND there are clips that you can use for your race numbers -- much easier than using four pins. If you did not receive the clips with the pouch you can get it by e-mailing them. They should be free but if they are not they will only cost pennies.

Good luck with the race on Sunday. With all your 12-13 milers that you have been doing you must feel pretty snug about running this race.

Eric