Friday, October 16, 2009

2009 Valley Harvest Half Marathon Report

I sit here trying to figure out, trying to summarize the race that I ran in Nova Scotia. I was thinking of taking the angle of how I beat Steve(Runner). Which, would be a great angle since, in fact, it's true. :-) But, I will also tell you this. Steve is a good friend of mine. We've known each other for half of lives. We do a have friendly rivalry going and some trash talkin'. But, it's all in good fun. The weekend was my continuing celebration of my 50th year on this planet. And, I wanted to do something different. So, I went to the edge of the earth. Or so it seemed. Steve was kind enough to go with me to help in my celebration. Thanks, Steve.

So, do I write about the course? Funny thing I think about this course are people's point of view. I read this on several blogs and websites this was described as a flat course with a few rolling hills. Personally, I would describe it as a hilly course with a few flat spots. This was the hilliest half marathon course I've run. But, saying that, the hills were not monstorous. They just felt like they would go on forever. And, unfortunately for me, I was feeling nauceous going up them. To the point, at mile 10, I was ready to give my breakfast up. But, thankfully, didn't. I kept thinking, I had a 5k more to go and, whatever hills there were upcoming, I was just going to have to walk up those. But, I kept thinking Steve was going to be right behind me and catch up. Funny, when you are in the middle of a a situation like that, how much you don't care. You care afterwards. But, not when you are going through it.

Besides the hills, and, probably because of them, the course was scenic. The race started in downtown Wolfville, NS and headed west out of town. About 2 miles out of town, you turned right and headed to Port William. Before going into Port William, you crossed the Cornwallis River. Now, the area was noted for their tidal changes. It is no more evident than it was crossing that bridge over the Cornwallis River. In the morning, you literally could walk across the water as it was that shallow. By the afternoon, the river had risen about 50 feet. Watching the tide come in was like watching floodwaters. On a daily basis.

Most of the race was in Port William and the surrounding farmland. It was 3 miles into the race that I realized that I had overdressed for the occasion. I was dressed as Nanook of the North. And, for good reason as the race started in the 30s (F). But, the sun was out. And, in reality, I could have been comfortable with a long-sleeve shirt and shorts. Instead, I was bundled up for an impending snowstorm. Except, never happened.

My first 4 miles were at a nice even pace. I took a few walk breaks afterwards only to settle my stomach. I learned my lesson in Philadelphia and was determined to keep things at as much of an even pace as possible.

The turnaround on the course actually happened about 7.5 miles into the race. And, then more hills followed. I thought of Kelly and her 'love' of hills. I imagined her cursing these hills. I didn't have to imagine me cursing these hills. Because, I was doing just that.

Finally, around mile 9, there was one long downhill back into Port William. It was there you could really get a view of the river and the tidal basin and the hills surrounding the area. Just beautiful.

I crossed the Cornwallis River again at mile 10 and continued on following my steps of the first three miles. I turned right onto Route 1 and headed back into Wolfville. Suck it up and make it happen.

The finish line was in the Acadia University football stadium. Almost a full lap around to the end. I was running with someone along side of me, who, thanked me at the end as he was pacing off me. I've done that before and it's funny how you really feel the need to thank someone for doing that when, in fact, they have no idea that they were. About 50 yards from the finish, the name is called over the PA system. And, they even pronounced the last name right!!!! I saw the clock closing in on 2:04. It was then I was determined to beat that time so I made a mad dash. Gun time: 2:03:45. Chip time: 2:03:01. I beat my Philadelphia time. On a tougher course. And, no Steve around. I was feeling happy.

As I waited for Steve to finish, one of the runners who I was running with along the course, was about 50 yards from the finish and decided to make a dash as well. Except, she collapsed in a heap, grabbing her thigh. I suspect she cramped up. She was lying there, crying, wanting so much to cross that line. The paramedics rushed and helped her. She did get up and was limping. I felt so bad as she never crossed the line. All that work and only 50 yards from your goal. Ouch.

After Steve crossed the line, it was time to spend the afternoon riding around, tasting the wines of the region. It was a nice way to finish up the weekend.

I want to thank the people of Wolfville, of Nova Scotia, the race directors and the people who participated in this race. You are some of the friendliest people I ever met. There was a little issue with my registration. They couldn't find me. And, yet, they took me at my word that I did register and was going to give me a number anyway. Turns out, I registered my last name first. I was never one to follow directions anyway.

For a more complete race report, I encourage you to download and listen to Steve's podcast episode 209. (Also, listen to episode 208B for my interview of Steve).

No comments: