Monday, March 16, 2009

Where I Run (Florida edition)

I'm back from my Florida long weekend. The weather was absolutely perfect with highs in the 80's (F) with low humidity all five days I was there. I went to a couple of spring training games over the weekend, which was a lot of fun and, for the most part just relaxed and took it easy.

I did have a chance to get out and get some runs in as well. I was staying in a town called New Smyrna Beach, which is about 10 miles south of Daytona Beach. North of town, where the Indian River meets the Atlantic Ocean, (called Ponce Inlet) there is a park called Smyrna Dunes Park. This park has a 1.4 mile circular boardwalk where people go to get there walks and runs in. (The park also is a nesting ground for sea turtles which were out and about as I ran.)

I was able to get two runs in over the weekend. A 3 miler and a 4.2 miler. Running this just emphasized how out of shape I got over the winter and the work I need to put in to get back in 'racing form'.

One of the things I might try to do this year is post videos of places of where I run. This is my first attempt on this. Understand I am no Spielberg. (Especially when my thumb gets in the way of the camera. Unfortunately, there is no second takes to my videos.) Also, I'm using my video camera from my phone, so the quality might not be there. It was easy enough to use for a run.

In the coming months, I'm hoping to capture some footage of other areas where I run and also some races I'm doing. Races may be tough but I've deemed it a non-competitive year for me so there's more of a chance I'll allow myself the extra time to pull out the camera and get some footage. (Of course, I say that now in March. Just wait until I see Chief, Eric or another Blue Dawg in front of me. That camera ain't coming out then!)

So, to set the stage, below are four video clips (about 3 mins each, except clip 3 which is about a minute) of what it's like to run at Smyrna Dunes Park. Again, apologies as I know I had my thumb in the way in clips 3 and 4. (FYI. Be careful of watching this video if you get motion-sickness.)

While I was in Florida, I also had the opportunity to watch the launch of the Space Shuttle Discovery. I have video of that launch where I saw it from my vantage point in New Smyrna Beach. I hope to have that posted later this week.

Any comments to the video would be much appreciated.




(Notes: The Bucks County 5k Spring series starts this weekend on Sunday, March 22. As most of the races in the spring are ones I have done before, I would like to bring back the race T-shirt exchange. The idea behind the race T-shirt exchange is to exchange shirts with me for upcoming races that you have done year after year and you don't necessarily 'need' that shirt anymore. So, send me an e-mail and let me know you are interested in exchange race shirts. Let me know the size of shirt you want and the address where I can send it. I will let you know my shirt size and my address of where you can send the shirt you got from your local race. As always, only non-worn shirts will be accepted. :-) )

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How lucky are you...running while in the presence of sea turtles...I am jealous. Wonderful for you...I am very happy for you.

Anonymous said...

I agree - very cool with the sea turtles. The videos are a neat touch...but I did feel a little queesy watching, that's just me. How about video on a walk break? :-)

Joe S said...

Jennifer:

I think I have to agree with you. It looked so much better through the lens than what it wound up being. I'll either have to upgrade to a real camera if I want to run and film or walk part of the course. Any races I do I might just stick to the beginning and ending of races and maybe a minute or two on the course to get the feel of the race. Thanks for the feedback.