Monday, March 23, 2009

Ready, Set...Spring!!!!!

I think the best way to get my mojo back is to run that first race. And, struggle. And, have Eric and Chief beat me. Soundly. And, despite what I say about enjoying life and not worrying about times that will be my wake up call.

--February 9, 2009 Blue Dawgs Running Losing My Mojo posting

RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have been in the prediction business. (Of course, if I was, my 401(k) wouldn't have turned into a 101 (k) ). Yes, the above situation happened. Just as I thought. Yes, Eric and Chief (and 296 others) beat me. (I said it, Eric, happy now?).

Yesterday was the start of the Panera Bread Bucks 5k spring series with the running of the Central Bucks Family YMCA 5k. Game time temps started in the 30's (F) climbing (barely) in the 40s. But the sun was out and people were anxious to get their spring going. How anxious? They delayed the start of the race by 15 minutes because people kept showing up to register for the race. Time to shake off the winter rust.

Since early March, I have been getting my mojo back. I am starting to focus on competing in a triathlon in the summer. I'm swimming twice a week for about 30 minutes. Nothing hard. Just building up so I can do 16 laps at a competitive pace. (About 1/4 mile). Also did a six mile loop around Lake Galena on Saturday. Throw in a one hour racquetball session and there you have my week!

Besides swimming, I am getting out more and more for runs now that it's warming up. Biggest problem? The better shape you are in, the easier you can bounce back from a cold. At least that's my theory. Because, I can't seem to clear the congestion that I have from this cold I had starting last month. No, no, I'm not using that as an excuse for my performance yesterday (Sure didn't help going up that last hill, though). Back to the race.

My first mile was ok. I felt better than I thought I would. Didn't push myself. Just relaxed. I did it in an 8:15 or so pace. Next mile I eased up because I felt I was laboring try to breathe. Still, the mile was around an 8:45 pace. What I'm finding is, running up any hills at the moment really, really sucks. (Kelly, you are much more, shall we say, expressive, than I am when it comes to describing hills but this will do for now.) Yes, I know, for the most part, any hill is not a barrel of laughs but I can really feel a difference between running on flat surface and hills. And, that last mile has a 1/2 mile gradual hill to it. And, it knocked me for a loop yesterday.

My final time was 26:56. My worse 5k in nearly three years. It was almost 2 minutes slower than last year's race. (Sigh).

It's just the start of the season. Still plenty of time to have a good year. Though, I have to keep reminding myself, I declared this a non-competitive year. Yeah, right. Good luck with that one. All I have to do is to remind Chief and Eric and SteveR this is my non-competitive year. I'm sure they'll go along with that. Everytime I see them. After a race. I'm sure they will be telling me, 'I see you decided not to compete in this race afterall?' (Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle). Word of advice. Be careful when you stop and smell the roses. You might get run over doing so.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so looking forward to the spring as well. I start getting back into running and I come down with some cold or flu....puts me back a week, then have to start over again. I am recovering right now from the flu after a GREAT week of running......I am tired of all the crude. Good luck.

Eric said...

When you do come back from being injured or sick running hills is a chore. How well you run hills is a great barometer of how fit you are.

P.S. You did have to tell everybody that I beat you because you were sick and that it was the worst 5K race in quite awhile (-:

Eric

Anonymous said...

I thought your time was awesome - better than my recent 5K by 2 minutes! Don't beat yourself up too bad...unless that's what motivates you! :-)