Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Opening a New Door

Back in January, it was just an idea. Something I wasn't sure of. Something others talked about but wasn't sure if it was for me. But, gradually, I accepted the idea. Started to embrace that, in fact, there was a way for me to do this thing. I knew I was going to have to make some sacrifices along the way (don't we always?).

Yesterday, I committed myself to this idea. I signed up and attended my first triathlon class. And, I can't weasel out of it because my good friend, Chief White...yes, the Chief White that I run against in local 5ks, is one of the MENTORS!!!!!!

Seven years ago or so, I remember thinking about starting to run longer distances and entering races. I remember the first time I ran 20 minutes WITHOUT STOPPING!!!! The sense of joy of accomplishing that feat. With my running now, I have lost that feeling of newness. Signing up for a triathlon class has given me back that feeling of trying (pardon the pun) something different in life. At the beginning of this month, when I swam two laps freestyle WITHOUT STOPPING started to bring back those feelings of small accomplishments.

I was asked last night, why, why did I sign up for this class? My answer...I wanted to celebrate my fifty years of existence on this planet. I want to prove you can teach an old dog, like me, a new trick.

The more and more I thought about the individual pieces of a triathlon, the more I thought it is something I can do. Swim 1/4 mile? Yeah, I grew up learning how to swim. I can do that with some training. Bike 10 miles? How hard can that be? I'm running 10 miles in a few weeks down Broad Street. Could it really be more difficult than that? And then run a 5k? I would do that every weekend if I could. And, on top of that, have people I know teach and support me along the way? As my teacher (Sharon) said last night, 'we thought you would have been out here sooner'.

I don't expect to be good at this. But, the point of the class is not necessarily be good. The motto: Compete to Complete! Just like I tell people when they enter their first marathon. Don't have a goal time. Do it for the experience. See what works and what doesn't work for you. If you enjoyed it, then think back on that experience and how you would change things to be more competitive if you want to. I have to keep that in my mind for myself.

I am excited. This has given me a renewed vigor for training. I can't wait to get out there every day now. And, I have the backing of my friends along the way. There's no turning back now.

7 comments:

Steve Runner said...

Proof that you sir, have lost your mind. See you at the finish line at Falmouth (I'll be the one waiting for you at the finish line with a cold beer).

Anonymous said...

Go for it Joe! Maybe I'll follow in your footsteps someday!!!
:) Melissa

Unknown said...

I know you can do it. Good luck, ill be rooting for u

Eric said...

I have trouble finding time for one sport, Running. Good luck in training for three sports.

Joe S said...

Steve, considering you have completed 19 marathons, I take it as a great compliment that YOU think I lost my mind by doing a triathlon. LOL

I was going to get the cold beer at Falmouth but you are right. It would just turn warm waiting for you to finish the race. I'll wait until you are done first.

Anonymous said...

Joe, that is AWESOME! I'm so excited for you! A friend at work is training for a tri, and he loves it...I know you will too. Can't wait to hear more about your training.

Paul said...

First race I ever entered was a triathalon. I loved it. I hope yours is great.