Monday, September 10, 2007

Not quite a Summer of Love

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love. That was the year when the world embraced and cherished a life where peace, love and harmony would prevail. Scott MacKenzie sang about the center of this movement, San Francisco, where 'if you go, make sure you wear some flowers in your hair'. People under 30 converged to the Haight-Asbury part of the city where life was a huge lovefest, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) was free and the world was a groovy place to live.

And, I bet, when most people think back or hear about those times, that's what they think. But, I recently saw a documentary which suggested, that simply wasn't true. It started that way. Young people had high (pardon the pun) ideals in which they could create a separate society where money didn't rule their lives. They listened and followed Timothy Leary when he told them to 'Turn on, tune in, drop out.' But, by the time The Beatles first sang, 'All You Need is Love' in June of that year, too many people ventured to and lived in Haight-Asbury thinking the world would give them this utopian society without giving anything of themselves. San Francisco had turned into an area with a major problem of homeless, drug addicts, and runaways. A summer, which started out with such hope turned into something quite different. This may be quite a stretch but this summer turned out the same for me.

Coming off of the Broad Street Run, I had great hope for this summer. And, it started great too, with me winning my division (Master Clydesdale, 190-210 lb) in the 4 mile ALS Out and Back on Kelly Drive in Philadelphia. My stated goal was to run my normal 5k summer schedule so I would be in a position to try to break my PR this fall. But, being sick for a month killed any hope of that. I didn't do the Tex-Mex in North Wales, Revolutionary Run in Washington's Crossing, Moyer & Sons in Souderton, and, because of a wedding, couldn't even compete in the Ivyland 5k (which was my first 5k I ever did years ago). I have gotten so use to running these races over the years, that it literally did not feel like I lived through this particular summer!

So, now, the fall season begins. It starts with the Philadelphia Distance Run (half-marathon) next week. I am aiming for the Philadelphia marathon the Sunday before Thanksgiving. And, in between, I hope to do a number of 5ks where I can fit into my training schedule. But, I don't think I will be in a position to PR.

I haven't been thrilled with my training runs. I can tell I was more fit in the spring than I am now. Now, I need to show some patience and build up my confidence again. Patience I'm good at, confidence I'm not. Throughout my life, I've fought having confidence. With school, with girls, with work, with almost everything. But, I've been able to muster enough of it when I need it the most. This time, with the help of having enough patience, I will get it back again.

So, as the summer of 2007 comes to a close, I harken back to 1967, once again, for my fall theme song. Let's see: 'Something Stupid'?, 'Kind of a Drag'?, 'Snoopy vs. The Red Baron'? No, 'I'm a Believer!'

Note: Three runs last week-a 4 mile tempo, my normal 6 miler on Wednesday and 13.5 on the Delaware River yesterday. The temps have been in the 80s (F). Can't wait for a little cooler weather.
Also. congratulations to Kevin Madden, a former classmate of mine (see the St. John's Class of 1973 website). Kevin participated in the Wisconsin Ironman Triathlon this past weekend and finished in a time of 12:36:37, finishing 906 out ot 2209. To put it in perspective, Kevin ran a 4:51:04 marathon which is 16 minutes faster than my PR. His marathon was after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles. He puts me to shame. :-)

No comments: