Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Catherine the Great!

This will be a short entry into the blog as lots of things to catch up on with work this week.

First, I hope everyone in the States had a pleasant Labor Day yesterday. The weather in the Philadelphia area over the weekend was incredible. High temperatures in the low 80's (F) and in the 60's (F) overnight. They are calling for nice weather all this week as well. I hate to see summer go but temps like this make it feel so comfortable.

I've come to the conclusion that I won't have enough miles in this summer to do the Mohawk marathon in October. I ran 12 miles Sunday and, though I felt pretty good, I didn't feel comfortable enough that I felt I could 'wing' in Albany, NY. So, my focus is back to Philadelphia Distance Run in two weeks and the Philadelphia marathon in November. I also ran 6 miles on Wednesday and 6 on Friday so I am starting to pick up the mileage in my schedule.

I also want to congratulate Catherine Ndereba (pictured with Meb Keflezghi) on winning the 2007 women's marathon at the IAAF Track & Field World Championships in Osaka, Japan this past week. The reason I mention this is I have had the pleasure of meeting Catherine on a number of occasions at the Falmouth Road Race in the past few years. She is the nicest, sweetest, most gracious person you would ever want to meet. She always has a big smile on her face. Last year, she gave a speech during the award presentation that everyone stood up and applauded. In the track world, she is a huge star but you would never know it by her demeanor. So, Catherine, you truly earn your nickname of 'The Great'. Congratulations on your victory at Osaka and Falmouth and thank you for being the nice person that you are.

2 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

See you at PDR along with a few thousand other's. I am sure I will be listening to Steve Runner during the race.

Joe S said...

Dan:

Thanks for your comments. I'll post my race number when I know it. Good luck at PDR!