Monday, September 24, 2007

Giving Something Back

I started doing races on a regular basis back in 2001. And, for the following 5 years or so, everytime I signed up for a race, there was always a group of people helping me to register, give me a bib number, a T-Shirt, a goody bag, handing me water on the course, and keeping the clock to let me know how I did. And, as I think most people do, I took these volunteers for granted. Not that I don't appreciate them. But people are just always THERE at the race helping us runners. Aren't they?

Last year, I was asked to help out at the 'Friends of the Dove 10k' race held at Lake Galena each September. By nature, I'm on the shy side and couldn't imagine how I could be helpful. But, it was such an experience to be on the 'other side' that I have committed to making sure I volunteer for a race at least once a year. So, this past Sunday, I honored my committment to myself and volunteered again for the 'Dove' race.

I don't write this to tell you what a great person I am for volunteering. On the contrary, I write this to tell you of the truly 'great' people the race organizers are (for any race) and what a humbling experience it is to be a volunteer. I had two jobs--give out Bib numbers for those not pre-registered and to make sure people, as they cross the finish line, stay organized and in the chutes so the correct results could be tabulated.

And, why was volunteering humbling? If you are a runner in a race, you think about yourself and how you are doing. After the race, you look for water and try to get yourself back together. You probably aren't thinking about other runners and the stories they could tell of themselves and how they got there that day. I know when I run a race it really is all about me.

But, just once, be on the end where you watch runners finish. Not just the ones you know, but all the runners. Study their faces. Especially the ones you know have never run this kind of race before. (And you do KNOW!) Look at the faces that show you both agony and sheer joy at the same time while crossing that finish line. The pained expression of running as hard as they could with the hint of a smile knowing of what they just did! And tell them 'Great job' and see the smiles on their face again!

I didn't know the majority of the people running on Sunday but I was so proud of everyone's efforts and was so happy for their accomplishments. I really was humbled that day of what they did and I remember the feelings of my first races.

So, I encourage people that, if you enjoy running as a sport, take the time to be a volunteer at one of your local races. If you can't volunteer, make sure you thank the people who are there at the race giving up their time (and getting there before you!).

It took me longer to be a volunteer than it did to run my first marathon. Take my advise. Being a volunteer is easier. And it will give you the same sense of accomplishment!

Note: I took it easy this past week coming off the PDR race. I ran 5 miles on Wednesday with heavy legs and then it was a bit easier on Saturday doing 6 miles around Lake Galena.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have convinced me. I have been saying for the past 4 years that I was going to volunteer for a race....but I always had a good reason not to: I was going to race myself, I live too far away to be able to do the job to the level it needed to be done, or I was just too tired. I no longer have an excuse. Thanks again.