Monday, April 30, 2007

ALS Out and Back 4-miler Race Report

Just a short entry this week as I make final preparations for the Broad Street Run on Sunday, May 6.

Last Friday (April 27), I ran the ALS Out and Back 4-miler held in Philadelphia along Kelly Drive. I wasn't sure what to expect that day. It had rained the previous night and most of that day so I thought the course was going to be wet. The race started and ended in front of Boathouse Row (Is the front of a boathouse the river or the street side?).

I have hit a point, in my running life, that I think 5ks are now sprints. So, I am trying to take my sprinter's mentality into these 'short' races. I read in Runner's World about the new theory of going out fast instead of doing negative splits for the shorter distances. I am trying to apply that theory to my races this year.

The race was actually on the recreational trail along the Schuykill River and not on Kelly Drive itself. The big difference is the trail is not that wide to accomodate 900 people at the start. I made the mistake of lining up in the back of the pack as I was stuck for awhile during the first half mile or so. But, once it cleared out, I was doing 8 minute splits (or so I thought). I felt good at the turnaround and had enough to hit my goal of 32:00. This goal time, by the way, is 1:30 faster than any other 4 miler I've done. It was a flat, fast course and I've been feeling good on my 5ks. Then something curious happened.

As I was into my third mile, my GPS had me running at a 30:00/mile pace. What the heck was going on? For that third mile, I couldn't find my pace. I'm guessing the Garmin was confused as I was running back whence I came. It must have thought I was going backwards or something. It seemed to be back on track during my fourth mile. I was kind of surprised that my time was 32:25. (Not in a good kind of surprise). I can't complain about this time as I wound up doing 8:06/mile. But, I must have fallen into a real comfort zone that 3rd mile as all my other splits were under 8 minutes.

I have to say this was a well run event. The Bryn Mawr Running Club sponsored the race, gave out wicking shirts to all participants and threw an after-party at Lemon Hill Mansion, just above the boathouses. Beautiful view overlooking the Art Museum and the Philadelphia skyline. I was sorry I didn't bring my camera.

Note: I just found out that I won my division! I registered as a Clydesdale 190-210lb Over 40. Now, before anyone asks if I was the only one in that division (believe me, that was MY first question), I did beat out 8 other runners.

I did an 8-miler on Sunday, which was not a very good run. Not sure why, but I had no energy and had to slow down just to finish. Did the 4-mile race take that much out of me? Based on that, definite taper this week as I prepare for Broad Street. Forecast now is sunshine and high of 72 degrees F that day. If its that warm, then I don't think I can do my PR. I would like to keep it around 1:30. Last year, I had knee problems the last 3 miles of the race. This year, I'm feeling good. I think I can come close.

2 comments:

Cory said...

Congrats on the 1st place!! Sounds like you had a really good run. Great time even though you had to dodge all those other runners.

Joe S said...

Thanks Cory. It was a shock to me. I didn't stay around for the award ceremony because, well, what was the point? Luckily, someone from my company was there to get my prize for me.