Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Broad Street Run countdown

I pick up my number tomorrow at the Broad Street Run expo (or as they call it the 'Not for Runner's Only Expo') for Sunday's race. The expo is at, of all places, Lincoln Financial Field, home of the American football Philadelphia Eagles (and to our second round draft pick and new quarterback, Kevin Kolb. What kind of pick was that?) The plan is for a few of us from work to take a shuttle down from Center City at lunchtime.

It is suppose to be an absolutely gorgeous weekend and Sunday is no exception. Highs for the day expected to be in the mid-60's and quite comfortable. If there is a bit of cloud cover, it will be perfect running weather!

I'm afraid my big 'win' last Friday has come at a price. Since then, my groin and hips have been aching. I ran 4.5 miles last night on a flat course. I was hoping it would shake itself out but it hasn't happened. Not sure if I did anything during the race (it was awfully crowded in the beginning and I could have zigged instead of zagged) or if I overextended myself. No matter what, I am still aiming for around a 1:30 on Sunday.

Now, here's my current dilemma: the following weekend is the Sertoma 5k in Doylestown which is run on a course I have flirted with a PR. Do I push myself at Broad Street or hold back and rest for the Sertoma and try for my stated goal this year of a new 5k PR? I figure I'll have my answer around 8:50A Sunday morning in the middle of mile 2.

No comments: