Monday, May 21, 2007

Summer Plans

After the Broad Street run, I step back for a moment and evaluate what I want to accomplish for the rest of the year (running-wise). I also take the time to heal from any nagging injuries I may have. This year I thought I made it without problems until the past two weeks I've experienced soreness on the bottom of my left foot which is sending out shooting pain and numbness to the toes. I haven't gauged seriousness of this yet as it is more nagging than crippling. I'm hoping it doesn't affect the plans I've laid out for my summer.

As stated before ad naseum my goals for this year are--(1) beat my 5k PR and (2) run a 1 hour Falmouth Road race! Right now, as we speak, between you and me and everyone else who reads this blog, I am planning to run (2) marathons this year--The Mohawk Valley/Hudson River marathon in October and the Philadelphia marathon in November. OK, in actuality, I plan on RUNNING the Mohawk Valley/Hudson River marathon and run/walk Philadelphia. My PR for a marathon was doing run/walk so, for me, that may be the best way to do a marathon on the type of training I tend to do.

But, it is always EASY to say that you will do these things in the winter and spring when it's nice and cool and I don't have to get up at 5A on a weekend morning so I don't have to run in the stinkin' hot sun. Luckily, there is a group of people from the Central Bucks County area that are planning on running the Mohawk Valley/Hudson River marathon and they plan on training together so I won't be the only one getting up at 5A on a weekend morning training to avoid strength-zapping forces of the midday sun in this area of the world during the summer months. So, no committments, just plans for these 2 races (they seem so far away).

There are 5 summer races I do like to do and hope to be around to run them this year. First, ANY race that feeds you after you've run is very tempting to me (I like to eat about $5 worth less than the entry fee. Afterall, the race is usually for a good cause). The June Tex-Mex Connection race in North Wales, PA and the July Moyer & Son 5k in Souderton, PA fall into that category. If I can, I also like to run the Washington's Crossing 10k on July 4 for the historical significance (yes, Washington didn't cross the Delaware on the 4th of July but there is a tie-in). Plus, it's a nice, flat course which is a rarity in this area of the world. And, lastly, the race that started it all for me, the Ivyland 5k is held at the end of August. Ivyland 5k does feed you (can't beat firehouse pancakes and peaches!) and, to me, in signifies the end of summer.

The 5th summer race, if I'm lucky to get in, is the Falmouth Road Race, held on Cape Cod, MA in mid-August. That is a topic for another discussion.

So, there it be. Those are the summer plans. And now, I have a few weeks before I immerse myself in marathon training. I hope the pain in my foot goes away!

No comments: