Friday, April 13, 2007

What's Next?

Since I have taken up running as a hobby for the past few years, I have noticed a parallel universe between my running life and my everyday 'other' life. One of the parallels is the motivation to keep you going and the affects it has once you've achieved your goal. In everyday life, it can be a vacation that you have been looking forward to or a conclusion of a project that you have been working on for months. In running life, it is the achievement of running a race that you have planned and trained for months in advanced. After it is all done, you take a moment to look around and ask yourself: 'OK. what's next?'

I started my plan on running the Ocean City half-marathon back in November of last year. The last half-marathon I did in the spring was one about 4 years ago in Connellsville, Pennsylvania. To this day, it was my worse race I ever ran. It was because of a lack of preparation.

I imagined the Ocean City half to be a flat course so I thought a PR was achievable. As a warm January turned into a bitter cold February this year plus work piling up, my training goals changed. But, no matter what, it was one of the things (that and a cancelled trip to Phillies spring training) kept me going through the winter. It was the reason why I left my warm bed on Sunday mornings to run by a lake. It was the reason why, when I got home on Wednesdays after a one hour commute, I would run six or so miles in the dark and cold of winter with the Blue Dawg running group.

As I stated in my previous blog, I ran it as training run for the upcoming Broad Street run next month. At least, that is what was what I kept telling myself. In reality, it was the one spring race I was most looking forward to. But, now it's over. The thing, I looked so forward to, is over.

After my friend Steve told me this week he couldn't make our annual trip to the Falmouth Road Race (which I was determined to train hard for this year) I was left wondering what is next? There is Broad Street, no doubt, but I need a new carrot for my stick.

No comments: