Monday, December 8, 2008

A Letter to Santa

Dear Santa:

I know you are busy this time of year but I wanted to give you my list of what I want for Christmas. I've been an awfully good boy this year. For instance, I had to listen all year to Kelly whining about hills. As you can imagine, Santa, that's not easy. Come to think of it, all of the Blue Dawg group had to listen to her whining. Maybe you should give them something special this year as well!

And, I was very patient with little StevieRunner as he complained about not getting his sub-4 hour marathon again. I know, Santa, this happens all the time. And, I'm sure I'm not the only one that has to go through this. But, please, Santa, could you find a way to make little StevieRunner run a marathon under 4 hours next year? Not as a present to him but as a present to the rest of us? I know there isn't a lot of talent to work with there but we can all hope for a Christmas miracle, can't we?

So, here are some of the things I want when you come to my house for Christmas:

DryMax socks--Santa, these are hard to find. They are my favorite running socks and the ones I have now are starting to fall apart. If you could give me a half dozen, that would be swell!

Garmin 405--I know my Garmin 201 works just fine but, I'm a boy and boys like new toys. I was good and didn't ask for a 205, 301, or 305. And, I don't necessarily need the heart-rate monitor. It just looks so much easier to run with! I have heard you need nimble hands to work the 405, but, honest, Santa, I'll be patient in playing with it.

A comfortable pair of running shoes--My Adrenaline GTS 5's are on their last legs. I have a pair of Adrenaline GTS 7's to replace them but I don't think they will be as comfortable as my 5's. Why, Santa, do shoe companies 'upgrade' running shoes every year? And, they never fit the same so I have to find another shoe to replace them? It would be great if you can get me a pair of running shoes that I know I can run a marathon in with no problems.

Triathalon gear--I know, Santa, this is a big surprise to you to see this on my list. And, I was going to wait until my New Year's resolution to announce this but, I think I want to do a triathalon in 2009. Not a great big one but a sprint. Chief convinced me I could do one and I heard there is a class forming in April so I won't be working out alone. And, he didn't even convince me after a few 'adult beverages'!!!! No, I'm hoping that 2009 is a special year for me, and I think I want to compete in a triathalon to see if I like it.

A new left Achillies tendon--I know this one isn't going to be easy for you to deliver. And, realistically, I should be asking the 'birthday boy' for this. But, if there is a way to get me a new one, that would be swell. I think the other one is getting kind of old and worn out. For the past few months, it's been nothing but trouble when I run on it. I thought I would rest it a bit after my last marathon. But, I went out last Saturday, and it was still hurting me. Make it stop hurting, Santa!!! It's ok to walk around with it. Maybe if I get those new comfortable running shoes, I won't need a new Achillies tendon afterall!!!!

The book Hello, Everybody! The Dawn of American Radio by Anthony Rudel--I've always been interested in radio, Santa, and this sounds like a fun book to read. I saw a review in Spirit magazine on a Southwest airline flight I took and they said it was really keen. Could you put this under the tree too?

Peace and happiness to all--This is a tough one, Santa, and one that you have been working on a lot. But, I have friends that didn't have a particularly good year in 2008. Could you make 2009 a better year for them?

Thank you, Santa, for all you do. I promise not to make a fire in the fireplace Christmas Eve so you'll be able to come down the chimney this year. And, I will leave out some cookies for you and some carrots for the reindeer. I can't leave them by the Christmas tree or else the dogs will eat them. So, they will be on the counter in the kitchen. I hope you have good weather the night before Christmas. I'll see you in the mall!!!

Your best buddy,

Joe

9 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

:-)

Javarunner1962 said...

Adrenaline GTS 7??? Good lord man they are up to 8 now, and about to flip over to 9. You are in some OLD shoes my friend.

Progman2000 said...

You can have the left achilles as long as I get the right (I'll gladly take Steve's sub-4 too, although I know that means another year of listening to the griping...)

Thinnmann said...

run less and get on the bike to train for your tri - it will fix the Achilles tendon.

Joe S said...

I liked the Adrenaline GTS 5's so much I bought 3 pairs on line. I didn't like the 6's as they weren't as comfortable. I bought the 7's because they were more comfortable than the 8's. Maybe it's me and my feet but my expectation from shoe companies is to go to the 'upgrade' without any comfort issues at all. But, I don't see that. The 9's? Well, I seem to have luck only with the odd number versions of the shoe.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

I agree with ThinnMann. When I had my Achilles tendonitis the biking not only helped with the healing but also allowed me to keep up my fitness.

BTW, I'm from Harrisburg and now live in Dallas. I hope to run the Harrisburg Marathon in 2009.

Stay tuned...

Unknown said...

Love the list, I want a couple of your items myself: comfortable pair of running shoes and Garmin 405....but a peaceful week away from school would also be nice.

Frayed Laces said...

Hi Joe,
Thanks for all your wishes on my way to a BQ! I hope Santa is kind to you because you CERTAINLY deserve it!

SlowBurner said...

Great list, Joe. I hope Santa comes through for you.