Monday, December 1, 2008

Going over to the 'Dark Side'

It started out resting my ankle, my body, my spirit. I have run only once since the Harrisburg marathon. And, even then, my ankle was bothering me. So, I decided to rest some more. But, it has become more than that. You see, I have seen the 'dark side' (and, shhh, I liked it!!!)



I woke up last Sunday morning. Not bright and early. I slept in. And, then, I had a cup of coffee. I not only had a cup of coffee, I enjoyed it. I sipped it. I relished the aroma and the flavor. So much did I enjoy the experience, I had a second cup of coffee. I didn't guzzle it to get out the door to go run.



With my cup of coffee, I read the paper. The ENTIRE Sunday newspaper. From beginning to end. I didn't just skim headlines. I read articles. I read the questions posed to Walter Scott in Parade magazine and read the answers. I leafed through the inserts to see what was on sale. I read the comics. And, sipped my coffee.



For the holidays, I ate. Boy, did I eat. And not a Powerbar in sight. Turkey. Potatoes. Stuffing. Pies. Cookies. And the leftovers for turkey, potatoes, stuffing, pies and cookies. And, I went back for more. Mmmmmmm!!!!!!



Some people say they get antsy if they don't run. I didn't. I'm beginning to feel the 'dark side' is taking over my soul. I know I didn't make a pact with the devil to say I would live this life if I ran a marathon under 5 hours. Because, if I did, he didn't deliver. So, it must be something else. Something I'm not seeing.



I believe this is only a temporary condition. I believe, as my pants get tighter, I will have a 'spiritual awakening' and see my 'evil ways' of the two of the seven deadly sins I am committing of gluttony and sloth. In the meantime, could you pass another slice of pie, please?

2 comments:

billdowis said...

No! Don't fall to the seductive nature of the dark side!

Rests days are fine... I even have timw where I take 3 in a row, but I do get all jittery and start going through runners detox.

Go for a run... you will feel better! lol

Eric said...

Joe;
We got to get you back into running. We need your leadership on our Wednesday evening runs. But it is very common after all that marathon training plus running that race to take a respite from running.

Eric