Monday, October 27, 2008

Race Shirt Exchange (and other things)

Race Shirt Exchange--This past spring, I was looking in my closet to pick out a shirt to wear that day. There is a joke in my family (and I'm sure others reading this will relate) I'm lucky that, with all the races I do, I never have to buy another T-shirt again. True. My closet is full of race shirts from the past few years. But, I began to notice the shirts are from races I've run year after year. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the shirts. But, do I need to have the same shirt/different color every year? And, I didn't think I was alone in this thinking. Why not somehow set up a race shirt exchange program where people who have run the same race year after year can swap shirts with someone who has run their own race year after year? Just to be different. But, how do I get the word out?

In June, when I ran with Frayed Laces in Hawaii, I mentioned my idea to see if she what she thought. She loved the idea and wrote about it in her September 24th blog entry. I also mention it in the Phedippidations Discussion Board Forum Thing over the summer. Everyone who wrote in seemed to think it was a great idea. But, how to manage it?

I immediately went into project management mode think. We set up a separate area in the forum and people can post there if they want to exchange a shirt. If you have a taker, find out what shirt size the person wants, exchange e-mail (and mail addresses). The person who sends out is responsible for postage. On and on and on. I stepped back for a moment and told myself, 'you can't manage this. If people think it's a good idea, they will figure out how to exchange shirts on their own. No rules.'

But, from the September 24th blog entry of Frayed Laces, someone stepped forward and said, 'I'll exchange a race shirt with you'. I want to report that the idea I had back in the spring has come to fruition. Big from, Big's Running Blog, sent me a great technical T from the Capital City River Run Half marathon and 5k. And, just this past week, I sent Big my shirt I received in the 'Run for Your Neighbor' 5k I recently did in Harleysville, PA. I want to thank Big for this great shirt.

Of course, as usually happens in my life, my timing isn't the greatest. Because here I would say, 'and if anyone else wants to exchange shirts, please let me know.' Which I would like to do. Except I only have one more race this year. The Harrisburg marathon. And, no one is touching that one. (If you really want a shirt from there, I will purchase one on your behalf and can send to you. Send me the money after you've received the shirt.) So, when the spring comes, I will re-visit this idea and see if there are any takers then. In the meantime, don't let me stop you from finding others to swap with you. Use SteveRunner's forum if you would like to find someone to swap a shirt with you.

My 20 miler. In my line of work, we have things called 'pilots' before we send things into production. Pilots are tests meant to see what could go wrong with an idea before you start producing it for real. Well, my 20 miler that I run before a marathon is my pilot. To me, it simulates my marathon and I use it to test things out first. I have to say, it is a good thing I do this. Because my 20 miler yesterday didn't go exactly as planned.

First, in looking at my marathon schedule, I should have done my 20 miler LAST week. (I was wondering why Kelly and Melissa weren't running theirs this week). Normally, I dread the 20 miler. But, this year, I had the mindset of just going out there and doing it. I had packed the Friday before. Charge the garmin. Gels. Powerbars. Drinks. Change of shirts. Race wear. Everything set.

I get to the lake around 9a. (The Phillies game was rain delayed and I stayed up until midnight though the game ended around 2a). I see Melissa, and we exchange hellos, as she is finishing up her 12 miler. (Sigh. Still, it was worth staying up as the Phillies did eventually win). I'm all set to go as I turn on my Garmin. I have one hour of battery life. WHAT THE ##$%? You see, I do the Galloway run/walk method for marathons. 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking. Kind of critical to have a working watch. OK. No big deal. I approximately know where the miles are around Lake Galena so I'll just do a walk break after each mile. (Secretly, I blame Frayed Laces as I believe she owns an 'evil' Garmin. See her October 13th posting. Somehow, her Garmin is the 'mother' Garmin which controls some of the other Garmins in the world. Because, since her problems, my watch has just been 'obeying orders' to breakdown as well. Just a theory, mind you.) Pacing will be difficult but I can manage.

So, I start. And, my left ankle hurts. With every step. OK. I just need to warm up. And, now my Achilles is hurting. It feels like it needs to be stretched a bit. So, I stretch. Nothing. I run a half mile and the pain is not going away. At this point, I'm at one of those crossroads moments in life, 'do I stop and rest it or do the 20 miler and risk injury?' I HAVE to do this 20 miles. So, I press on.

The 'run a mile, walk a bit' thing isn't working out right. I have to stop more often because of my ankle. And, I forgot to put on body glide. And, I'm feeling the affects of that decision. I wished there was someone to take a video. I want to show the world how NOT to train for a marathon. I can only imagine what I looked like adjusting my shorts and favoring my right leg as I run.

I made it a point to wear my race-ready shorts. With the pockets. For my gels. You know, the gels I left in my car. Luckily, the loops I do around the lake, take me back to the car to re-fuel. Except I won't have that convenience during the marathon.

I do manage to finish the 20 miler. Chafing. Ankle swollen. Hungry. Thirsty. Yep, I'm ready for that ol' marathon in two weeks. There is going to be approximately 800 runners in this marathon. Usually, I like to be in the top 50% of the finishers in any race. I'll take top 90% for this race.

A little late with this joke--Back in August, I posted a blog entry talking about a race I ran against Police chief White. As I was running this weekend, I realized the Clash did a song in which the lyrics would have been perfect for that entry. As mentioned previously, my timing could use a little work. Anyway, here are the lyrics:


Yes, Im running down the railway track

Could you help me? police on my back

They will catch me if I dare drop back

Wont you give me all the speed I lack

Mom, make it stop!!!--I will not get all political on you. But, I will say, the process of electing a president in this country goes way TOO LONG!!! It should not take a year and a half to elect a president. Billions of dollars should not be spent electing a president. I used to be more involved politically. No more. I will vote. But, no matter how much I back a candidate, I refuse to send money for elections. I would rather see my dollars fighting diseases than electing a candidate. In truth, I wish there were viable third and fourth parties in America. They have it in the UK and Canada. Where politics are more local. I hope your candidate(s) win. For me, I just want it to be over.


October 28, 2008 update--I had to add this picture. It is from my backyard this morning. Yes, it is snowing here. Just north where they are trying to finish the World Series. Wasn't it just summer a few hours ago? (Sigh). Hope it's not an indication of what winter is going to be like around here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, and I'm thinking you and I were sharing a moment this weekend, as my long run sucked bigtime also. Maybe it was a full moon?
I'm with you on the political stuff too...I'm sooo looking forward to seeing a truck commercial again, instead of the ridiculous campaign commercials on TV!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great T-shirt exchange idea. Topher and I sent each other shirts TODAY. Loved the idea. Would love to exchange one with you as well, next year when races get back underway.
Let me know.

Joe S said...

Eric:

Yes, I'm sure I will be doing some of the Bucks County 5k series of races in the spring. I'll let you know and we can swap race shirts then.