Thursday, October 30, 2008

28 Years Later....

The last time it happened...

  • Jimmy Carter was President of the United States
  • Walter Mondale was Vice President of the United States
  • Median Household Income was $17,710.00
  • The cost of a first class stamp was $0.15
  • Cost for a gallon of regular gas was $1.25
  • Ted Turner had just started a television network called CNN
  • The Dow Jones had a high of 1000 and a low of 759 that year
  • John Lennon was coming out with his 'Double Fantasy' album
  • Genuine Risk wins the Kentucky Derby that year
  • The Empire Strikes Back is the top grossing film
  • U.S. viewers get caught up in the "Who Shot J.R.?" cliff hanger on the soap opera series, Dallas
  • Christina Ricci, Chelsea Clinton, Venus Williams, Jessica Simpson, Macaulay Culkin, and Jake Gyllenhaal are born
  • And, I was a senior at Boston University sitting in the living room of a house that I shared with five guys in Brighton, MA.

That was the last time the Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series. The time before that? Well, there was no time before that. That was the first time they had won the World Series. And, last night, they won it again.

Back in 1980, I was very excited but I was out of town when it happened. It was like someone describing a great party they attended with all your friends but you couldn't make it because you had to work. Not this year. Even my wife, who doesn't know a curveball from a changeup, was getting into it and high-fiving me when Brad Lidge struck out Eric Hinske at the end. Fireworks going off in the neighborhood. Cars honking their horns. Everyone at work happy this morning.

I hope to go to part of the parade tomorrow. I plan on taking some pictures and I will post afterwards. Why? Because the Philadelphia Phillies are the champions of baseball today!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife does not know the difference between 4 downs 3 outs but she watched the last half inning. I pitied her. She now has black and blue on her left leg due to my excitement. I still remember in 1980 when Tug raised his arms after the last out. So I guess that we have to wait for another 28 years to see this again.

Eric said...

My wife does not know the difference between 4 downs 3 outs but she watched the last half inning. I pitied her. She now has black and blue on her left leg due to my excitement. I still remember in 1980 when Tug raised his arms after the last out. So I guess that we have to wait for another 28 years to see this again.