Monday, November 5, 2007

Practice? We're talking about Practice!

There is one day, on a marathon schedule that I hate. It's the two weeks before the race. It's the end of the training/beginning of the taper. It's the twenty miler. I hate the twenty miler. And, the twenty miler was yesterday.

Yesterday was a beautiful fall day in Bucks County. A little nip in the air but perfect to go for a run. But I was out there reluctant as a kid going out with mom to get new clothes for the school year.

The first 16-miler in the training schedule doesn't bother me. I get kind of excited thinking about my upcoming marathon. The 18-miler starts to play with my mind a bit, but, hey, it's only two more miles than the 16-miler. But, the twenty? Oh, the twenty! I'm out there for twenty miles (~ 4 hours) and nobody cares! (Except Kelly and Eric, my running partners yesterday). No medals, no glory, just pain! Yes, I know it's what I need to do for the marathon. I need to run this distance. I know I need to train for this distance (and, some will argue, that I didn't go far enough). But, I will admit, I don't like to train for an event, I like the event itself.

About 5 years ago, Allen Iverson, the star point guard for the Philadelphia 76ers, held a press conference after the season concluded and the Sixers were eliminated from the playoffs. The coach, Larry Brown, questioned Iverson's commitment to practice all year long. There was no denying his commitment to the game. He put his heart and soul out on the floor everytime. Iverson was asked about the coach's statements. Iverson went on a rant about not understanding (and I'm paraphrasing here) how the MVP of the league (himself) could make the team better during practice. It was only the game that matters. Not practice. 'Practice. We're talking about practice!'

As a fan, I cringed watching that news conference, as I couldn't understand how a multi-million dollar star player didn't 'get it' why he might be even better if he showed up to practice once in awhile. But, deep down, I knew what he meant. I never did like practice either.

As a kid growing up, I was a pretty good athlete. I was tall, fast, with good reflexes. I was not the star on the teams I played for but, most times, was in the starting lineup. I had some natural ability that, truthfully, I didn't have to work hard to maintain. (A collective 'Oh, brother!' is heard from my former classmates at St. John's) But, that's my point. I had the talent to be in the game but not the drive and desire to excel in the game. I still believe that, if I worked harder and put my heart and soul in practice (training), I could have been good enough to play a sport in college. Not be on scholarship. But, play college sports (even if it was riding the bench for Whatsamatta U.).

Now, running the dreaded twenty miler doesn't exactly put me up there on the list of favorites to win the Philadelphia marathon. But, it does help my confidence to reach the elusive sub-5 hour barrier (btw, long distance running would NOT have been something I would have pursued nor would have been good at in college or any other time in my life). I know I had to be out there yesterday. I know. Don't remind me. I'll be grateful in the event that I did it. I'm sure it will help me achieve my goal. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Let the tapering begin!

Notes: Absolutely heartbreaking news about the death of Ryan Shay during the U.S. Olympic men's marathon trials in NYC over this past weekend. Condolences go out to his family and friends. The long range forecast for Philadelphia marathon is rainy, cold and windy. It is two weeks away and there is a very good chance this forecast will change but.... And, surprisingly, the marathon is sold out! I say surprisingly as I remember people telling me in the past they would wait a few days before the race to sign up to check on the weather forecast.

And, please, is there a limit to how many times we have to read an article about how back-of-the-packers have ruined the marathon? http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/11/03/marathon/

ARRRGGGGHHH! Can these guys just go away? Please? Not name-dropping here but I have spoken to Bill Rodgers, Frank Shorter, and Deena Kastor and, you know what? They encouraged me. They didn't knock me down. They weren't elitist of the sport and they know what running is all about. And, frankly, I would rather listen to the Olympians than this idiot.

In closing, the Penguin's wife response to the article:

http://community.active.com/blogs/CoachJenny/2007/11/05/oprah-and-the-penguin-ruin-marathoning

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Joe,
I felt like I was reading my own bio with your latest blog. I was a good athlete in high school, started in every sport, did little extra to prepare, and even got scholarships to play in college. I look back now at all of the things I COULD HAVE DONE that would have allowed me to have been better than just a good player/runner/etc.

Keep up the good work. Don't let the mileage get you down. You will be successful, you have prepared properly. Good luck, and let me know how things turned out.

Joe S said...

Eric:

Thanks! I'm going to sign up for the 5 hour pace team and stick with them through thick and thin. I was too-smart at the Disney marathon and went ahead of the pace team. They wound up passing me with about 2 miles to go! Signs for the Philadelphia marathon are up around town so I'm raring to go!