Wednesday, November 14, 2007

On your marks, get set........

The panic is setting in. That person next to me is coughing. I'm sure they have the flu. I know I will be sick by the end of the week. Do I run? For how long? What if I step in a pothole and twist my ankle? What if I don't run? I know all that training will go down the drain! Can I eat that? Can I eat anything? I know if I eat that it will make me sick. What if I can't sleep? What if my alarm doesn't go off? What if I don't set the alarm? What if there is a massive power failure the night before and my alarm doesn't go off? Just like in Seinfield. It can happen. AAAGGGGHHHHH!

Yes, folks, it's the week before the marathon!

My tapering has been spotty at best but that's ok. I ran a little bit last week and will run a little bit this week. The forecast is looking pretty good so far with highs in the upper 40s/lower 50s (F). One of the things I'm doing different is hydrating more this week. In past races, I have done most of my hydrating the morning of the race. For various reasons, that wasn't the smartest approach (ok, one of the various reasons is I kept stopping at the nearest tree/port-a-john/concealed area to 'discharge' at the beginning of each race.) Now, I'm drinking more fluids during this week and, by race time, will be properly hydrated. (Though my one hour commute home is killing me!)

The plan for the weekend, for all who care, is for Steve (aka Steve Runner) to come down to my house Saturday around noonish (he has to do some miles before heading down). Once he has arrived, we will be heading down to the expo, which is at Temple University this year. I need to pick up some gels, look for RaceReady shorts, and see if they are selling any Tyvex jackets. (I saw on Steve's bulletin board thingy they might sell them at Home Depot for a lot less money. Hmmmm.)

We will probably have an early dinner and then maybe have a blueberry (or pumpkin) ale for a nightcap. Bed early as wake up call will be 4:00a.

Sunday, MARATHON DAY! Breakfast will be blueberry pancakes for me (no, I'm not dumping in the blueberry ale into the mix). Steve has told me he will be eating a chicken breast (interesting choice for a 4a meal). I hope to leave the house before 5a and be down at the Art Museum area around 6:15a-6:30a.

Both Steve and I are signing up for the pace teams--Steve for the 4 hour team and I'm running with the 5 hour team. I think I mentioned before that I did this at Disney marathon and they were spot on with their time. If Steve can hang with them, I think he will do his sub-4:00. Me? I'll do my best.

I'm hoping to meet up with people from my running group down there. We will be hanging by the fountains across from the Art Museum at the beginning of the race. It would be nice to start out with someone. Also, I found out that a friend of mine from grammar school is going to be on the look out for us as well.

At the end of the race, Steve and I are planning to meet either at the Rocky statue by the Art Museum or under the letter P at the family meeting section. We will have to see what will have easier access after the race. So, if you see a goofy looking guy with a Boston Red Sox hat hanging out at either of these two spots about 4 hours after the race, that's Steve. I'm the incoherent, falling over, gasping for air guy that shows up about an hour later.

In all seriousness, I'm feeling good about this race. Nervous? Yeah, just a bit. For all the reasons mentioned at the beginning of this blog. But, I know I can do it. I've done it before. There is a buzz at work about this race. It's my hometown race after all. And, I'm really looking forward it.

2 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

As much as I would like to see you beat Steve I do hope he gets his sub 4 hour and doesn't BONK again.

Best of luck to the both of you, there is an outside chance I may come try to say hello to the two of you.

Joe S said...

I would like to beat Steve as well at anything but Sunday isn't the day for me to do it.

Hope to see you there.