Tuesday, July 3, 2007

A Need to Keep Positive

This summer has certainly not turned into the summer I expected. Instead of being fit, ready and road-tested for the Revolutionary Run 10k at Washington's Crossing, PA on the 4th of July, I have struggled in the past few weeks to remain healthy.

I wound up getting progressively worse last week and went back or contacted the doctor's office three times. It was only on Saturday night that I started to feel human as opposed to a giant petri dish just oozing and flowing with growing bacteria that couldn't be stopped. It is only today that I actually feel the normal temperature that people in this area of the country are suppose to feel for this time of year rather than a degree or two warmer than I've been feeling. I can now stop sweating uncontrollably where I sit and turn the thermostat back up beyond the sub-Arctic temps I've been setting them at. I've actually been able to stop coughing and bringing up 'stuff' to complete the simple act of breathing. (Have I told you that I've been sick? )

And, now, vacation next week which will kind of put my training on hold yet again. (Though it is really hard to complain that, oh, woe is me, I can't train because I'm going to a beach in the Caribbean for a week. What will I do?)

I'm hoping I didn't lose too much. After all, when you last tuned into this episode, I had just run nine miles comfortably. I probably lost some speed (ok, a lot of speed) but the good news is I am now 6 pounds lighter than before.

I can't sit here and say my race with Steve at Falmouth is lost. Not now. I'll still have a month to recover and train and hope for the best. I can still run a little next week while on vacation. And, my bike is ready so maybe I can do more cross-training in the coming weeks to help me recover quicker.

No, if I can get out this week, even for a few miles, it will help me regain my confidence that I'm not going to pass out after a mile. And, even if I have it tough on the first time, I need to make sure I'm not discouraged and go back out there again the next day and run that mile again. It is time to live my philosophy: Don't ever give up!

(P.S. I will be on the island of Nevis next week so no posting then. However, I'm hoping to talk about my adventure to a part of the world that I've never been to the following week.)

No comments: