Monday, April 27, 2009

Where I Run (Las Vegas)

This was the second time I've been in Las Vegas. The first time was fifteen years ago on vacation for a few days. I went on business (yes, business) this time attending the National Association of Broadcasters convention. (Not to bore you with the details of my job but I work in the web broadcasting department for my company and we wanted to see what was new and exciting for the future).

Having been ill the previous week, I was bound and determined to keep up with some of my training when I was in Las Vegas. I thought I was going to have a chance to swim but, the pool was too small to do laps at the Las Vegas Hilton (where I was staying) and the water was too freakin' cold!!!! So, I ran about 3 miles every morning I was there around the Hilton complex.

At the very bottom of this entry are two videos of my 'Where I Run' series I am doing. Granted, I don't run in Vegas all the often (as a matter of fact, this was the first time). But, thought it might be interesting. I am enjoying doing these series and probably need to upgrade equipment if I continue doing more of them (video camera phones are ok but I know they are not the best. But, very convenient to take along).

I got back Thursday night and the heat followed me home as it has been in the 90s (F) over the weekend. Feels like summer already. Friday night I did (2) 12 laps plus (2) slow, medium, fast laps in the pool. Saturday, I rode my bike (thanks Mitch!) 8 miles to get used to it. I didn't have a chance to run the borrowed road bike. It's much easier to ride than a mountain bike. And, Sunday, I ran 6 miles around Lake Galena in the morning. I should say I ran/walked in. It does feeling I will never get my stamina back. Patience, Joe, patience. Just keep at it and it will return.

Anyway, along with the videos, below are some pictures from my trip. I had a chance to walk 'The Strip' on Wednesday night. Hope you enjoy.

(Notes: I kind of made this decision before, but I won't be participating in the Broad Street Run this year. I've been focusing on my tri training and, truthfully, never had a chance to get in some longer runs for the event. I just didn't think I was ready for it. )



(above: Las Vegas Hilton where I was staying. Barry Manilow was appearing there for a permanent show. Could have bought some Manilow water from the Manilow store inside but decided to pass on that.)

(above: A statue of Elvis Presley outside of the Las Vegas Hilton. Elvis had an eight-year exclusive run in their showroom. 837 consecutive sold-out performances, entertaining some 2.5 million people. As the plaque states: Elvis, the king of Las Vegas.)

(above: The Flamingo Hotel at the corner of West Flamingo Road and Las Vegas Blvd.)


(above: The Paris hotel on 'the Strip'.)

(above: The Bellagio Hotel)

(above: The Bellagio Hotel and the start of the water fountain show that begins every 15 minutes)


5 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

Thanks for bringing the warm back east with you. We're still enjoying it today, although I could pass on the wind Makes it a little hard to run in 20 mph gusts :-) Glad you got in some runs - it's good to have a change of pace for a couple of days.

BTW, my brother and dad were at NAB this year, too.

sneakersister said...

This is great! I'll be in Vegas in a couple weeks and can't wait to go for a run on the strip.

John Vaughn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Vaughn said...

You might enjoy my run Christmas Morning on the strip. It was too long for my podcast so it's just on Google videos. Check it out here:

http://tinyurl.com/crh5vf

Enjoy, John

Unknown said...

Schools never send principals to Las Vegas....would love to run in vegas....cool pics.