Monday, January 12, 2009

Talk of the Town

I grew up loving broadcasting. I remember, as a kid, slowly turning the dial of the radio in my room and trying to find and listen to stations all over the US and Canada. I would keep track of the stations that I could find and what frequency they were on for future reference.

Years later, I went to get a Broadcasting & Film degree up in Boston. I worked as a disc jockey at my college radio station. I was a half-time guest once during a college basketball game. I worked for major market radio stations as an engineer and producer. And, I still work in broadcasting, albeit for a corporation and it is web-based. I still find myself in front of camera, from time to time, when they are in need of 'talent' to stand in when testing is being done. So, with all that experience, why was I still nervous going on The Runner's Roundtable last Wednesday as a guest?

I'm not an expert at anything especially when it comes to running. I usually seek advise, not give it. Luckily, the topic was around New Year's Resolutions so I did mention a few that I wrote about last year and on my last blog entry. If you get the opportunity to listen, click on the above link to the website. I can be heard in the discussion group on Episode 12.

With that being said, I am truly amazed by how fast things come out where you don't need a degree in Broadcasting & Film to be a broadcaster and the proliferation of additional media outlets. I'm sooooo yesterday with my blog. Not only is there podcasts available but talk show podcasts, runcast videos and on and on and on. And, they all seem to start up in a matter of months after the latest 'gadget' has been introduced. Below are links to some of the shows, podcasts, videos that I listen to and watch. Believe me, this is a small sampling of what's out there. If you are like me and get bored quickly with listening to the same songs on your iPod, check these out on your next run.

Runner's Lounge
Running from the Reaper
RuncastTV
Confessions of a Runner

and, of course, the granddaddy of them all (or at least the podcaster looks like a granddaddy),

Phedippidations

I think you can subscribe to all of these through iTunes, though don't quote me on that.

If you know of others that you would like to recommend, please let me know. I'm always looking for something else to listen to.

(Notes: My three week doctor-ordered running sabbatical is up. I've been pretty good going to the gym so far but have not run outside as of yet this year. I was going to this past weekend but ice/snow storm hit the Bucks County area on Saturday morning and it was a bit slippery for the entire weekend. I'm going to do a short run today and see how my ankle feels. Maybe I can start joining the Blue Dawgs on Wednesdays again. Good timing on my part as they are calling for highs in the 20's (F) this Wednesday. That's short-run weather if you ask me.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I do not even listen to music on my IPod when I run. I listen to running podcasts (some of which you mentioned), NPR, and other podcasts. I will have to check you out on your episode in runnerslounge.