Monday, January 19, 2009

Random Thoughts for a Winter's Day

Most bloggers have this post around this time of year because, frankly, there isn't a lot to talk about running-wise. So, it's a good time to talk about other things that are happening in our lives and what races around our minds as we wait for the spring to arrive. So, here are some random thoughts for this cold winter day.

  • First, an update. I ran 4 miles on Wednesday and 6 miles yesterday outside on the road and am happy to say that my left Achillies is feeling pretty good the day after. I am still trying to be careful not to push myself too hard. For instance, I did feel a twinge when starting to run up hills so, decided yesterday to walk hills instead. That, and the fact that I did lose some stamina in my layoff. But, I have to say, I didn't lose as much as I thought I would as I ran fine and didn't feel winded on flat or downhill ground.

  • I believe Bucks County, Pennsylvania is the best place in the United States for running weather-wise. Don't believe me? Ah, I offer you evidence. When I ran yesterday, it was in the upper 20's (F) and the high temp was in the lower 30's. Which is cold. But, I've been reading on various blogs from Massachusetts, Indiana, Missouri, etc. where they are on their treadmills or not running at all because of all the snow and the below zero temperatures they are facing. So, sounds like BC, PA is a pretty good place to run, eh? And, then summer comes and I complain about how hot it is to run outside. Then you read the blogs from the South about not being able to train because of the heat and humidity. So, sounds like I'm in a spot that is not too hot, not too cold, but just right. The defense rests.

  • I've contacted my friend about a possible Boston marathon invite this year. I won't say anything more about it until I hear, one way or the other, if I got it.

  • I don't pay too much attention to the inductees of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, because, frankly, I don't know what the criteria is in getting in, but, I was glad to see Jeff Beck is being inducted this year. A great guitarist, who was part of the Yardbirds in the 1960's. I remember him best for his 1975 jazz-fusion album, Blow by Blow. Freeway Jam is one of my favorite songs from the album but, the definition of a haunting melody is the song 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers.' Brings back memories of driving around listening to FM when it was considered 'underground' radio.

  • Speaking of music, I saw this in the paper the other day. Bryan Ferry, lead singer of the group Roxy Music, is dating his son's ex-girlfriend. There are times I think I live in a different universe.

  • Speaking of Hall of Fames, congratulations to Rickey Henderson and Jim Rice on being recently voted into baseball's Hall of Fame. For the life of me, I don't know why they have a rule that you can be on a ballot for 15 years before being kicked off. I mean, if you are truly a Hall of Famer, shouldn't it just take one ballot? And, yet, I like the Veteran's Committee selecting past players that were overlooked. Yeah, I know, kind of hypocritical from my previous statement. Also, I don't think Mark McGwire should ever be considered for the Hall of Fame. And, it's not about the steroids issue. True, he did hit 583 home runs in a sixteen year career. But, he ONLY got 1626 hits. That includes the home runs!!!! That, in and of itself, is not a Hall of Fame number.

  • Why do we believe more our negative thoughts than the positive ones? It's easy to say, 'well, that's human nature'. But, why is it human nature? Do people who have confidence just fake it better than the rest of us? Is it just easier to believe it? Really don't know the answer but would love to hear other's views on this.

  • Last week, the painter Andrew Wyeth passed away. When reading about his life, I never realized how many prints of his work I have in my own house! If you are ever in the Philadelphia area and are looking for a great little museum, drive out to Chadd's Ford, PA and go to the Brandywine River Museum to see paintings from three generations of the Wyeth family.

  • Melissa, from the Blue Dawgs group, sent an e-mail to Kelly and myself asking us to look at page 65 of the February 2009 edition of Runner's World. We had dinner with the guy at the bottom right hand corner at the Harrisburg marathon pasta dinner. He did mention that he was running the Philadelphia marathon a few weeks later. I should go visit the Runner's World offices some day.

  • Speaking of the Philadelphia marathon, I met and got an autograph copy of Bart Yasso's book, My Life on the Run. I will fess up here. I didn't know who he was. Now, that I read the book, I'm sorry I didn't talk to him more. It's a good book for a quick read. I did get the book I asked for Christmas and am reading it now. I also received American Lion--Andrew Jackson in the White House which is next on the list. I'm very interested in reading books about historical figures.

Stay warm, everyone. Soon it will be spring!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post.
Loved reading all of your points.
Being a Missourian, not in total agreement about Mark McGuire....but if they do keep him out then they should keep Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens out as well.
Bart Yasso's book....wonderful.
Enjoy your wonderful running weather.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,
I'm glad you mentioned Bart Yasso's book - I've been thinking of getting it, glad to hear it was good. And let's try not to rub in the good weather thing....don't you get a ton of snow in PA??

And I replied back to you on my blog about P90X. I'll be giving updates about it as I go. I hope it's worth the $$$$!
Jen :-)

Joe S said...

Eric:

It was funny as, after I posted this entry, I had a feeling you would have an opinion on Mark McGwire. :-)

Taking away the steroids issue (and I agree about Bonds and Clemens, too), the fact that MM had only ~ 1600 hits in a 16 year career. Similar numbers to Dave Kingman. I was trying to see what HOFer had the lowest number of hits. I'm guessing that MM would be the one or close to the bottom.
Love talking baseball in the winter! :-)

Joe S said...

Jennifer:

Sure enough. The day I posted this blog is the day we got 5 inches of snow in Bucks County. Nobody else in the area got more than an inch. And, they weren't calling for it. I think Mother Nature decided to teach me a little lesson.

Please keep us posted about the P90X.

Frayed Laces said...

SO HAPPY your achilles is feeling better!