Monday, July 14, 2008

Sunscreen or Not to Sunscreen?

On the right side of my blog, I have listed some of the websites I often visit. As you can see, a few of those are newspaper websites. I like to get opinions from different parts of the country and see what makes news in their local areas. A lot of times, I will be following a certain story that I read while I was visiting that location. Other times, such as Boston or London, I've been there enough times that sites that are referenced, I am aware of first-hand. What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Not a whole lot, other than to explain why I read the San Francisco Chronicle website.


Last week, I saw this story on their website. I thought for sure this was going to be a national story but, afterwards, didn't see it in any other paper. So, I wanted to pass this information to people who read this blog.


http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/10/BU6M11L7AG.DTL&hw=SPF&sn=001&sc=1000

Now, hopefully, I will get my facts straight here. A few years ago, I had a growth removed from my arm that was diagnosed as carcinoma, which is skin cancer. My understanding is my kind of carcinoma does not typically spread through the body and removing is the best thing. However, having it makes me more susceptible to skin cancer in the future. In truth, I can tell you that I have growths now similar to the one that was removed. Do I take any more precautions now then when I was first diagnosed? Of course not. Well, maybe. I do use sunscreen more often than I did before. But, having read this article, I have to think twice on the kind I'm buying from now on.

As a kid, I don't remember this being a big issue. Back then (and I will date myself here), there was no SPF. It was suntan lotion or suntain oil. That's it. Lotion prevented a sunburn. Oil was to get a dark tan. But, now, I know quite a few people who have had to deal with carcinoma or melanoma.

So, my poll question will ask, 'Do you use sunscreen on your runs?' Something to think about. It's sound like not all sunscreen lotions are all alike.

(Notes: I ran/walk six miles yesterday around Lake Galena. I am happy to report my foot is fine. No problems yesterday, none today. I had to take a walk break but, surprisingly, not because I was winded. My calves started aching after a few miles and after coming down the half mile hill. But, overall, I was satisfied and glad to be back in action. I'm back to planning on going up to Falmouth the weekend of August 9. Off for a few days to North Carolina on business. Hopefully, will be able to get a run in while down there.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that Falmouth is still in your plans. Thanks for the news....I have seen this story a few times, over the last week, on CNN (but no other news sight).

Eric said...

There are suntan lotions that are advertised being water/sweat proof. I have not found one that has not got into my and burns like h---. Any suggestions will be great.

Eric

Frayed Laces said...

I should use sunscreen, but don't. When I run in the morning or evening, I tell myself the sun is too low to hurt me, but I'm sure a dermatologist would tell me otherwise.