Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My Left Foot

I was going to happily announce that my recent foot injury has cease to become a problem and I am back to normal running. Until this morning.....

I ran in the Tex-Mex 5k race in North Wales, PA last Wednesday. Although going downhill was a little rough on my foot, I still was able to finish the race in a reasonable time of 26:40. After the race, my foot felt fine. And, too the next day. So, I tested it more.

I ran about 5 miles on it Friday. Twinges of pain but it would go away after awhile. And, nothing the next day. Test it even more.

I ran six miles around Lake Galena on Sunday. Granted it was hot and, looking back in my running diary for June, I didn't run a lot, I did wind up walking part of the way around the lake. But, again, it was making sure my foot was not going to cause me issue. After I started, I was convinced that it was fine again. Again, just a twinge of discomfort but my stride was back so I was not turning my foot slightly when I was landing on it.

So, when my wife suggested to run a few miles yesterday, I gladly said yes. And, there was no issue. Except this morning when I started walking around. More precisely, hobbling around. And, the area around the hole in my foot is swollen again. And tender again.

What happened? I did wear a different pair of running shoes during yesterday's run. Plus it was two days in a row that I ran. The shoes? Or the frequency? Either way, frustrating as I want to begin serious marathon training.

I have two races I was going to do in the next week. One a 10k, the other a 5k. I guess I just have to be patient.

Afternoon Update since I posted the above in the morning: My foot has turned black and blue so saw the company nurse. No immediate dange of having my foot cut off but no running for awhile. If not better in two days, I need to go to the doctor and possibly get ABs for it. Ugh!

(Note: Still no definitive plan for a fall marathon but am starting to look at the Columbus marathon on Oct. 19. For those who know me I'm sure you are trying to figure out where this idea came from as I have never mentioned it before. My wife has a friend who lives in Columbus, Ohio that we had lunch with over the weekend when the friend was in town. It came to me that it might be fun to go to Columbus on an overnight trip. I could run the marathon while my wife could hang out with her friend. And, with me, she will have a LONG time to hang out with her friend while I am out there marathoning. Plus, in the back of my mind, I might be aiming to joining the 50 state +DC marathon club. Of course, at this pace, I will be in my 90s before completing but, if I do Philadelphia again, I might have to wait until my 100s before completing. Not sure if I could wait that long.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been debating doing the Flying Pig because my wife just does not understand why I run marathons. She also does not want to sit around for 4 hours to see me run by in 10 seconds. She has a college teammate that lives in Cinn., OH - we both have children the same age - so I could go run and give them much time to hand out and get caught up......enjoy Columbus.