Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Breaking Up is Hard to Do!


Meet the new boss,
same as the old boss
--The Who
(my old running shoes on the left, new ones on the right)
I genuinely feel bad when I have to throw food away. Not because of the money that I spent on it (ok, that's one reason). But, because this food item grew up, got old, and never properly served its purpose in its life! Think about it. The slightly black bananas that you have on your kitchen counter that no one wants to eat anymore. So, you toss it. In reality, there was no reason for that banana to exist in the first place. How sad is that!
You read that and you say to yourself: 'Wow! That guy is weird!' So, imagine what I must be like with a pair of shoes that have been around my house for the past year.
Look, I admit, I have attachments for inanimate objects. And, I have an attachment for my running shoes. I have seen good times with these shoes. I don't want to think of the bad times I've had with them. These shoes set a PR with me at Broad Street, Philadelphia Distance Run (half-marathon) and the Philadelphia marathon. These shoes did not have the chance to experience as many 5ks as I want it to.
These shoes have gone out with me in the blazing hot sun of last summer. They've been my training partner, going out with me on these chilly morning winters. They've been through the mud and the blood and the beer.
But, they are starting to feel their age. I'm starting to feel some discomfort in my knees and feet on some of my distance runs. Oh sure, I said it must be me, it can't be the shoes. But, I was in denial. Deep down, I knew this relationship was falling apart and it was only a matter of time.
It is also an end of an era and the replacements are the last of its kind. It is the last Brooks Adrenaline GTS5s available. Brooks is up to GTS8. Two years ago, I bought a few pairs of GTS5s because they were the most comfortable pair of running shoes I've ever found. But, now, I'm on my last pair.
I won't be going cold turkey with my shoes. That would be too cruel. It will be a gradual breakup (or really a gradual break-in). And, it might see an occasional 5k in its life. But, its glory days are done. It won't see Broad Street anymore. At least, not in race conditions. It has run its last long competitive race in its life.
So, good-bye old friend, you have served me well. You are off to the retirement part of your life where you will be helping me in the garden, cutting the lawn, slipping you on when I have to take the dogs out before bed, etc. You've had a good run!

No comments: