Monday, February 18, 2008

Frostbite 5 miler Race Report (February 16, 2008)

A little late in getting this out this week due to work obligations but....










The extent I go to get content for this blog. PRESENTING......


The Frostbite 5 miler Race Report! (picture on the left is the start line and the two pictures after is at the finish)


This race couldn't have had a better name because it was COLD! 28 degrees at the start of the race with a slight wind blowing throughout.
All last week, I was wondering if I should enter this race. I'm still training as if I'm running a marathon in April so did it make sense to run a 5 miler instead? Kelly, from the Blue Dawg group, convinced me I should not run LONG runs every week while training for a marathon for a physical and mental break. But Saturday morning, I woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head and went out to do this run.
The first 400 entrants got a T-shirt. When I got there to sign up, they said they hit that number by Friday morning. Wow! I guess I wasn't the only one itching for a race! But, despite the cold, it was a beautiful, sunny day.
I went to the start line about 8:50, about 10 minutes before the gun was to go off. I get there and the start line wasn't even set up yet!!!! What gives???? So, it gave me some time to play with my mini-camera to possibly take some pictures along the way. It was so cold... (this is not an old Johnny Carson routine) but it was so cold, the camera would not turn on. As a matter of fact, I thought it was dead. But, after warming it up in my hand a bit, it did start to function. But, after I used it and put it back in my pocket, it would be 'dead' when I tried to use it again. So, this was not a race to take shots during the event (hence, the pictures of the start and finish line only).
I try not to be annoyed with races because mostly are run by volunteers. But, with the freezing cold temps, the 20 minute delay was not appreciated and I believe it was due to the setting up of the timekeeper. I really had no game plan for this race. I have been running well and had a lot of energy so I wanted to see what I would feel like in race conditions.
The course goes through the town of Ambler, starting on Butler Pike, which is the main street of town. The start of the race is at 217 feet elevation, the finish at 226 feet, with the highest elevation at 318 feet and the lowest at 195 feet. I never ran this course before so didn't know what to expect.
I usually start towards the back of any race but notice that I shouldn't do this anymore. Not that I should be upfront but I find myself getting caught in too much traffic lately. (ok, that's it for the complaints) I crossed the start about 20 seconds different than the gun time. The first half mile was flat and I was feeling good.
I will admit, I get intimidated by hills. So, when the first hill approached, I was apprehensive. But, much like my Wednesdsay runs, I was running up the hill at a good pace. I was even passing people! And, as I am finding, I had a quick recovery from the hill.
Most of the course is through residential area. There is a half mile in the middle on a trail through a park. Truthfully, it was a pretty scene and I thought about pulling out the camera. No time. I was feeling good.
By the time I hit the mile 4 sign, I was in a nice rhythm. Somebody before the race, mentioned about the 'evil' hill that you need to go up before finishing on a downhill. When I got there, I felt I was spent. One of the volunteers yelled out 'it's only a small hill then downhill towards the finish'. OK, it didn't feel like a small hill but that's my mantra going up.
I got to the top, turned right, caught my breath and started heading to the finish. I had targets on people's backs as I started to catch and pass them. I crossed the finish line in 42:23 (my watch time) or a 8:28/mile pace. I finished 350 with 783 finishers so I was in the top 50% overall.
It was a PR but I don't run that many 5 milers. I am usually so exhausted at the end of the race that I feel slightly nauseous. But, I didn't feel that in this race. And, I am pushing myself harder and harder this year.
To wrap it up, this was a good February race. It was different than my usual routine of starting in March with a 5k. I continue to push myself hard and I'm seeing dividends for my hard work. I'll keep this race in my mind for next year as well.
(Note: I am seeing the movie 'Spirit of the Marathon' tonight. I intend to write a review of it on my next blog. Weather-permitting, I plan on running 16 miles this weekend though not sure Saturday or Sunday. Weather in this area looks nasty tomorrow and Sunday looks to be a bit warmer but Saturday would be the better day if I can get out. )

No comments: