Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Chilly Scenes of Winter

Last week, I went to an Agility class. No, I didn't learn how to walk on a teeter-totter or jump over small hurdles. It was a class about having the agility to face changes.

There is one constant in life and, that is, life is always changing. Right now, my work is going through a lot of changes as well as our society in general (talk of recession, our presidental elections, etc). How do we handle this without being overwhelmed by it all?

The idea behind the class was to focus on the things I do have a handle on. I can't control decisions made by others but there ARE things, in my life, I can control. For instance, I can control my work ethic and attitude towards what I do. So, if I focus on those things, then I can possibly influence the decisions that are not in my control.

When you have classes like this, they typically don't teach you anything you don't know. It becomes a coaching tool to remind you that you already know the answers to these questions you just forgot the questions. So, Joe, you might ask, what does any of this have to do with running? Good question.

Last weekend, I decided to do my long run on Saturday instead of Sunday. The forecast for Sunday was windy and bitter cold for this area (and they were right). I was intent on doing 13 miles around Lake Galena. I could have run with Melissa for company but she had to start early and my old, aching bones couldn't hack it so started an hour later than her.

While going to the lake, it started to snow. Not flurries. But, snow. I ran into Melissa in the parking lot and she asked how far was I going that day? Thinking about it, I said, 'if this weather keeps up than I'm only doing 8 because I am wet and cold and not wanting to do 13.'

We said our good-byes and I ventured off. But, then I started thinking about my agility class. In this situation, what do I have control of? I don't have control of the weather. There wasn't a forecast for snow that day but, here I am, and I'm outside running in the snow. But, I do have control of my attitude towards this run.

After about 3 miles, my attitude changed. Instead of dreading the snow, I started looking at the beauty of it as it covered the cornfields and areas around the lake. My reluctance of having to run 8 miles suddenly became a obsession to make sure I ran 13 miles.

With only a stop at my car to re-hydrate along the way, I wound up doing the 13 miles in 2:07. Believe me when I say, most of my half-marathon races have been slower than this. Sometimes you can learn about yourself in a classroom afterall.

(Note: I'm beginning to slightly fall off the bandwagon on my exercise regime. Last week, I didn't do strength training and kicking myself for not do so (must have been an attitude thing). I'm still trying to eat healthier but, I seem to be starving all the time. Working at home is both a curse and a blessing as it always seems easier to go downstairs and munch then it is in the office.
Still haven't made up my mind about the Frostbite Five miler. A game time decision.
I have been having slight heel problems but nothing that has stopped me so far. I can't say there was any one thing that caused it but keeping an eye on it to see if it worsens under certain conditions.
Phillies' pitchers and catchers arrive in Florida tomorrow! Spring is not far behind!
Congratulations to Uno, the beagle for winning Westminster.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's one of my favorite quotes:

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a BIG difference."

Way to press on through the snow!
:) Melissa

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Congratulations on taking a road that many people just fail to look for. You took the road all too often not taken, and even avoided. You looked for the good in the situation, not the bad.

I have had to make some decisions this week, at work, that are much different than what we have done in the past. Due to some terrible weather, school has been cancelled during HOMECOMING WEEK...the biggest week of the year in most high schools...so none of our normal activities...we will see how well those around us view the adaptation to our environment. I hope they embrace the change and see the positive, rather than the negative. Thanks for being a role model for me.