Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Running around the lake



My new year goals 'officially' kicked off this week as I was still under the weather last week. I did manage to start setting up my 'program' by reading 'Runner's World Guide to Cross-Training' by Matt Fitzgerald. As stated previously, I want to strength train and stretch more and this book gives me some guidance. I was going to go up to the Delaware River on Sunday but decided to go to the lake for a few reasons. 1) Having 'sat out' last week, I didn't know how much I would be able to do comfortably. 2) The lake is closer to my house and I had to get home on time to get on-line to purchase Phillies spring training tickets (I did. Phils-Twins on March 15. 20 rows behind home plate).



I did six on Sunday though I had trouble breathing in the beginning. It was one of those days that you can't get comfortable. I started towards the dam which is the windy part of the course. I was freezing and thought I should have dressed warmer. After about three miles and deeper in the woods, I was very warm and thought I shouldn't have worn so much clothing. I think everyone out there felt the same way. After the run, I took the time to stretch more than I've had previously. Monday, I followed some of the exercises in the book on strength training. And, tonight, I will be playing racquetball for other cross-training.








Around here, I have two favorite areas for my long runs--either going up to the Delaware River and run on the paths on either the New Jersey or Pennsylvania side (or both to do a loop) or go up to Lake Galena. Today, I want to talk about and give a little history of Lake Galena.
(The picture at the very top is 'our' starting/finishing point when running around the lake. The water fountain is very important landmark as, when you see it, 'you're almost there!' The picture right above is the lake from the nature center area. )

Lake Galena is part of Peace Valley Park in New Britain Township, Pennsylvania. There is an approximately six mile path (the inner loop) for walking, bicycles and running that goes around the lake. Part of the path uses Creek Road on the south side of the lake. There is an approximately 8 mile run (the outer loop) which encompasses the path but also takes you outside of the park and in the neighborhood. There are various races through the year held here, as it is a natural 10k course, but, I'm most involved with the 'Friends of the Dove' 10k held each September.

On the east side of the lake, you run through part of the Peace Valley Nature Center. The nature center offers 14 miles of nature trails in the woods and meadows. More than 250 species of birds have been sighted in this area and the park is designated as an Important Birding Area (IBA) by the PA Audubon Society. The Solar Building, Sunflower shop and Bird Seed Sale Barn are open from 9a to 5p Tuesday through Sunday. For more information, go to peacevalleynaturecenter.org.

The lake itself is a man-made lake constructed in the 1970's. The area was a mining area from the 1860's to the 1930's. The lake covers the largest mine pit that was made during that time. The area was mined for various minerals not just one. Besides uranium, gold, silver and copper, it was especially noted to have a substantial amount of zinc and lead ore (also known as 'galena').

There is evidence that the Lenni Lenape tribe, who lived in these parts, fashioned implements from lead in the local creek beds. It is known that the lead ore found in the area was smelted to make musket balls for George Washington's army when they were camped at Valley Forge in 1777/78. And, cannonballs were made for the Union army during the United States Civil War from the ore mined here.

You would think running around the lake would be flat. For the most part it is, but, around the nature center, three miles into the run from either direction, is a fairly steep hill that goes for about 3/4 mile.

So, if you are out this way on a Sunday morning, chances are you will not be alone as it is one of the most popular areas to run in central Bucks county.
(Below is the picture of the dam, which I've mentioned quite a few times on this blog. It is on the west side of the lake. Note: The pictures were taken with my new mini-camera I bought which easily fits in my pocket for my run. Tell me what you think.)



3 comments:

Mike said...

I think its great to have a camera with you when you run. Good pics ... especially like the 2nd one. I've started taking a camera on long rides but mines too bulky for a run.

Joe S said...

Thanks. I bought the camera, of all places, at Linen & Things. It's an Innovage mini-digital camera that cost me $20 and literally fits in the palm of my hand. Rather than running a race, going to my car to go get my camera and taking pictures, I thought I would try this out. I'll see how long it lasts! :-)

Joe

Anonymous said...

Get fujifilm digital cameras and digital video camcorders at Megacameras.com