Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I hesitate to say anything!

I hesitate to share my successes because I firmly believe things even out in the end. But, the last two runs that I have done have been fabulous!

Last Wednesday night, when running with the Blue Dawgs around New Britain, I was out in front through most of the run and felt strong going up hills. And, I did nine miles on Sunday up on the Delaware River and felt really, really good. (This time I just plain forgot to bring my mini-camera. One of these days.) I wound up doing a 1:24 nine mile run. In actuality, I eased up the last 2 miles as my first 7 miles were in 1:04. I wasn't consciously pushing myself but only running what I felt.

In January, I'm usually a slug. I go out and do what I have to do to make it around the course just to get the miles in. But, I have felt strong once I start (starting is still the hardest part in the cold).

And, this is the part where I hesitate. As previously stated, I am doing a strength training regiment 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes at a time. The strength training is very basic stuff with some exercises using 5 pound weights. I've been doing for two weeks now. Is it possible that this has helped me this quickly? According to my wife (who is a scientist), yes, it is possible to show results this fast. But, is it just that or other contributing factors that are helping me? And, that's the thing that both frustrates me and intrigues me. Afterall, I'm still coughing my head off so I can't say I'm breathing better. And, I've been cheating a bit on my 'healthier' diet. (Though I have lost of my holiday weight gain)

Last May, I ran the 10 mile Broad Street Run in 1:22. That was an 8:16/mile pace. If you look on my running history, that was, by far, the fastest I ever ran a race that was over a 5k. In fact, there are lots of 5ks I didn't run THAT pace. I remember, at the start of the race, being cold and lethargic. But, something clicked that made me believe I could keep that pace that day. I still question myself what it was.

But, never look a gift horse in the mouth. If it is my new training, great, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. It is great to have positive results so soon. It keeps me motivated to continue. But, as the optimist that I am, I expect my bubble to burst any day now.

(Note: Thank you for answering last week's poll. The results were: 33% would rather run in the cold, 41% would rather run when it's hot, 8% said weather didn't affect them, and 16% only ran when it was 40-75 degrees (F). I was intrigued by the comments and, in truth, was surprised that people do read this blog (the new poll reflects that sentiment).
Right now, I'm toying with the idea of doing the Frostbite Five Miler on February 16, 2008 in Ambler, PA. It's going to depend on a few things (weather being one of them) but I will put it down as my next race.
And, I will share this story with you. I'm going down to Florida for spring training in March to watch my Phillies. Well, the Phillies aren't playing in Clearwater (where we are staying) on Sunday so I decided to catch another game instead. I saw the Red Sox were playing at the Pirates and I thought that would be fun game to go see. But, the Pirates spring training tix didn't go on sale until last Saturday at 10a. I wanted two tickets. Just two tickets. I went on-line at precisely 10a. The game was already sold out. At the precise moment they went on sale. My only hope is that the tickets DID go to fans and not scalpers. I REALLY dislike scalpers. Consolation prize is that I am going to the Devil Rays-Tigers game. Still should be fun.)

2 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

Joe, I just came across your blog via Steve Runner's site. I've enjoyed listening to your challenges, throw downs, etc. on Phedippidations.

Anyway, I this comment has nothing to do with this post, rather the History of Blue Dawgs. I'm actually in the process of starting a running group in the small town - we're getting together for the first time Sat. morning, provided it warms up a little (from the current 13 degrees) and the forcasted snow stays away. Do you have any advice or suggestions for a new start-up?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Karen
karenheim@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Hey Joe, don't worry about patting yourself on the back a bit and being excited about a couple of good runs. It is like anything else in life, especially as we get older, you have to take the joy and the success when they come your way. Enjoy it. My best year running was the year that I did a strength training program 3 days a week, and if I can ever get ahead of the game....I am going to get back into the gym for 30 minutes a day 3 days a week myself. Running is great, but running and strength training is better than great. Keep up the good work.