Tuesday, August 18, 2009

When The Hero Takes a Fall

When I read the news, I sighed. I didn't know how to react. Nor did I think I should react. But, nonetheless, I shook my head and sighed again in disappointment. The story I'm referring to is about the basketball coach of the University of Louisville, Rick Pitino and his affair with another woman other than his wife and the aftermath. And, you are asking, why should I care? Because Rick Pitino was my boss for two years when I was in college.

In the past several years, people I knew, 'heroes' in my eyes, one by one have shown their human frailities. First, it was baseball players and the whole steroid controversy. I was disappointed but not shocked about players taking drugs to find an edge over their competition. I recently read the book Ball Four by Jim Bouton which came out in 1970. Even back then, Bouton mentioned the proliferation of 'greenies' to give a player a boost before gametime. But, I didn't know any players personally so it didn't directly affect me and I still love the game of baseball.

But, then the priest scandal broke about the sexual abuse and the years of coverup that followed. Having been an altar boy, I understood how that could have happened. Growing up, priests were men to be admired. It was what your parents hoped how you would model your own life. So, for the most part, you hung on every word when a priest spoke. When the list of priests that were involved in the sexual abuse scandals in Philadelphia were posted, and there were some priests that I knew and served Mass with, it absolutely broke my heart. I couldn't believe it. No, not them. And, why did the Archdiocese hide these men?

But, my faith in mankind was starting to return in the past few years. Then, I read about my former boss and his affair in the restaurant. You see, I was a manager for the Boston University basketball team when Rick Pitino started out as a head coach. He interviewed me for the job and hired me. The first year, I was an assistant manager to the team. By the second year, Coach Pitino named me as the head manager.

There was no pay involved. At least, directly. Coach Pitino knew that so he gave me a $500 scholarship so I didn't have to work outside of basketball for the year. (It would probably be equivalent to getting a $2000 scholarship today). He would also 'give' me paying jobs to do. For instance, he would ask me if I wanted to make a few bucks to be the official scorer for a basketball game. To a starving college kid, who wouldn't want to? But, during the game, when his emotions would run high, it was interesting the 'discussions' we had if he questioned the official scorer's decisions.

I also had the chance to come to know his wife. They were just starting a family back then. You see, Coach Pitino was only 26 when he was hired as the head coach for BU. One time, the team went out to San Diego over winter break to play a university out there. (Name of the university escapes me). The game was at the San Diego Sports Arena and we had practice the day before the game. I showed up on court and coach approached me and said, 'My wife wants to go shopping in San Diego. I have one job for you today. And, one job only. You need to babysit my son and you have the whole Sports Arena to do it in.' I am the youngest child in the family. I didn't have kids in my life at the time. I had no idea how to entertain a 3 year old. So, I walked around, up and down, around and around that Sports Arena for two hours as the team practiced.

Through the years I have followed Rick Pitino. I have followed the ups in his career as he brought different teams to the Final Four and, finally, winning a National Collegiate Championship at the University of Kentucky. I have followed the downs in his career as he tried to venture into the world of the NBA only to fail not once but twice. I followed the story of the death of one of his sons. I admired him the way he handled things and how he was able to keep coming back because he believed in himself. And, I think the same way as I go through life.

But, then I hear about his affair and I ask why? Why would you do that to your family? Why would you do that to your spouse? And, I think of Mrs. Pitino and the humilation she must have felt. And, I ask myself, is there any more truly good people in this world?

The more I thought about, the more I realized that the thing these people have in common was power. They had the power of thinking they won't get caught. There would be no ramifications. And they abused that power. Why, they think this way, I don't know. How they live with themselves I don't know. And, then I think of my father, who truly is a hero to me.

He was a kid born in the coal mines in western Pennsylvania who didn't have electricity for the first 12 years of his life. He taught me the values of hard work and keeping my nose clean. He and my mother brought my sisters and I up right. He had hard days in his work life. He has some hard days in the past few years with his health. But, he never complains. He is an 'everyman'. And, usually, 'everymans' are the heroes that should be followed.

It is hard when your heroes fall. But, maybe its my own fault. Maybe they shouldn't have been heroes at all to start with. Maybe if I stay within my own family I'll have all the heroes I need.

1 comment:

Meredith Brooks said...

The bigger the spotlight, the darker the shadow.