Monday, May 18, 2009

Summer Plans 2009

This coming weekend, Memorial Day weekend, is the unofficial start of summer here in the United States (could have fooled me as there are frost warnings posted for this area tonight). The Bucks County 5k Spring Series is winding up (one more race) so it's time to look towards what is coming up in the next few months. Oh, you can say I have a few plans.

The first one is kind of an unintentional plan. I am leaving for a business trip to England on June 6 and arriving the same day. A colleague of mine, based over there, suggested we do a 5k together the following day of my arrival. You see, last year, when he was over in the US for a weekend, I took him to a local race and he wants to return the favor. So, on June 7, I will be doing my first international race, the Festival of Running 5k at Battersea Park in London. It is close to where we are staying so it works out perfectly.

The following week is my 50th birthday road trip that I have been planning for months. A friend of mine, who also turned 50 this year, and I are traveling from city to city for a week going to a baseball game every night in a different stadium. We start the journey on Sunday, June 14 by going to a Pittsburgh Pirates day game. From there, we head for Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, St. Louis and finally Kansas City for a Friday night game. We are flying back home late Saturday afternoon which gives me enough time to run a local race around the Kansas City area. Jennifer, author of the Life is a Gift. RUN blog, and who lives in the area, has been helping me choose a race that will be convenient from where I am staying. Unfortunately, Jennifer will be away that weekend so we won't be able to run the race together.

After my baseball trip, I will be ready for my first triathon, the Lake Lenape Sprint Tri scheduled for July 11. From my two trips mentioned above, it will be interesting to see how much training I will be able to do during those weeks. Biking is almost out of the question but I can continue my conditioning by running. I hope the hotels we have booked have pools but, in reality, will I have time? Got to play this one by ear and hope I have the time to get in one or two swims. As far as another tri this year? Dunno. I haven't thought that far ahead and have only been focusing on Lake Lenape. Let me get through this one, please? :-)

The day after Lake Lenape, my wife and I are vacationing in Vermont for a week. With our dogs. All four of them. We wanted to do a 'get away' week as opposed to a big trip like we did last year going to Hawaii. We thought we could save some time, money and effort by taking our dogs along. But where? We found a place in Mt. Snow, VT called the The Paw House Inn. It lets us keep our dogs there for the day and take them back to the room at night. Considering the cost of boarding the dogs when we go away in general, it's worth a shot.

Falmouth is still on the schedule for August but, as the summer fades away, a fall marathon is then on the horizon. Right now, Steve and I haven't settled on one, but, we were looking to do one in Canada. Like Prince Edward Island. Or Nova Scotia. I know, I know, we better settle on one 'cause I have to start training soon for it! I think it will depend on what weekend works out best for both.

And, to record all of this, I decided to upgrade my video camera from my phone to, probably, a Sony W220 as a birthday present to me. I was looking at the Flip video cameras but decided I wanted still photography and video camera in one. I should be getting it this week.

So, as you can see, I have a busy summer ahead of me. So, what are you doing this summer?

7 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

May be at Lake Lenape Tri as well. One of my Tri teamates lives on the lake.

This is your official invite to any party he has after the event.

Steve Schumph said...

In NS, I would suggest the following:
http://www.valleyharvestmarathon.com/index.html.

It is scheduled for October 11th and the new course (course change last year) is great.

One week later is the PEI Marathon:

http://www.princeedwardislandmarathon.com/

I am actually in the process of deciding which one I will do. I have done the Valley the past two years and really like the new course, however, it would also be nice to have PEI under my belt.

I would be curious to hear which one you end up doing.

Cheers

Unknown said...

I am jealous, wish I could go back overseas and run some races like I did back in high school. have a good time, and run a few hundred meters for me.

Joe S said...

Dan:

Thanks for the invite. I really appreciate it. Hopefully, we'll be able to catch up with each other at the race. See you then.

Eric said...

Hi Joe;
I hope that you have some free weekends so we can do our "long" lake runs together. Worry about finishing the tri first before planning another one. Were you able to get tickets for *all* your ball games. I think that you had trouble with Cleveland and maybe KC.

Joe S said...

(Blue Dawg) Eric:

So far, I got tickets for the KC game. Still need to get tix for the Chicago game but looks like there are lots available on StubHub (I'll refrain on the reasons I think why). After that, my friend and I agreed we won't get tickets until day of the game in case of rainouts, arriving late, etc.

Still planning on doing Sunday long runs. Don't worry.

Frayed Laces said...

International race? Okay, it's official. I am officially jealous. No fair!