Friday, May 2, 2008

The Blue Dawgs do Broad Street

This will be short as it is Friday and I usually post Tuesday. Ok, so I'm a little late.

I go to pick up my number today down at Lincoln Financial Field (home of the Philadelphia Eagles) for Broad Street Run on Sunday. My training for this was good up until the beginning of April. Since then, my training has mostly been the 5k races I've done and the 20k race I did two weeks ago with a smattering of 5-6 mile runs with the Blue Dawgs on Wednesdays. This past weekend I was in Florida visiting my parents (my father's 80th birthday was on Monday) and ran a little on the beach and at Dunes Park on the north side of New Smyrna Beach.

Expectations for the race? Not a whole lot, unfortunately. I have been spoiled over the four times I've run this race as I have been able to lower my PR each time. But, with the sporadic training I've done in the past month, I can't say I feel ready. Granted, I don't think I ever feel 'ready' three days before any race, but, judging from my 20k race results, I have a reason to feel this doubt. Plus, the forecast for Sunday is for rain, which is even more reason.

So, I decided I want to have fun in this race. Knowing me, I will push myself at the beginning to see 'what I feel.' But, if it's not there, it's not there, therefore, I should enjoy the parade and the supporters that are out there.

Plus, the Blue Dawgs are going down as a group. Melissa, Eric, Kelly and I are all driving down together for the race. We are meeting at 5:30a to get to the stadium parking lot by 6:30a. Broad Street Run is somewhat unique as you are encouraged to park at the finish line and take a free subway ride to the start. The biggest challenge is meeting up after the race. I will make sure I am the Marines in this mission and leave no soldier behind in getting home that day.

After Broad Street, I can set my sights for the rest of the summer and look to choose a marathon for the fall.

(Quick note: Falmouth Road Race entries are now available on their website http://www.falmouthroadrace.com/. Steve is already whining about his ankle and how this is going to affect his training for the race. He gave me no sympathy for my sinus infection leading up to last year's race. Expect none from me this year for his ankle. :-) My wife and I are getting a female Havanese puppy next weekend but we are still looking for a name. Please submit a name for the puppy in the comments section. I would love to hear the suggestions. Expect pictures to be posted. )

No comments: