Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Quick Update

As sometimes happens, work is getting away of my fun. So, this is only a quick update on marathon progress.

Last week, I decided to add racquetball into the mix of training. (I normally play racquetball in the winter months and, yes, this isn't the smartest idea) The first few times out are very hard as I'm using my sprinting muscles and not the long-distance muscles in my legs.

I was very sore on Wednesday when I did 10 miles and began to have leg cramps halfway through the run. I continued to be sore for the rest of the week but went out Saturday for a 3+ mile run to stretch it out a bit. That and Tiger Balm helped out as I was ready for my Sunday long run.

Eric and Kelly joined me on Sunday for an 18 mile run (Kel for the first 8 miles). Eric is thinking about doing Philadelphia marathon but will decide after our training runs. We decided to do a 5:1 ratio (run/walk) and, considering we were out there for 3 hours and 48 minutes and the temps climbed to the 70's (F), I felt good afterwards. Even on Monday, I felt good.

This certainly helps my confidence going into Philadelphia. And, this is why I like the Galloway method as training can be more enjoyable as you don't have the soreness that you would have if running the whole way.

This week is going to be tough getting in any runs (yikes!) as I am going to North Carolina for the next few days for a business trip. I'm hoping to get in at least a 3 miler. Right now, the Hatboro 5k on Saturday may be in my plans and then a 10 miler on Sunday.

That's it! Nothing earth-shattering. See you next week!

No comments: